Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch to a diesel?

Switch to a diesel?

I drove a regular cab stepside 4.8L 2002 GMC Sierra from 2002 to January 2015. I averaged about 17 mpg or so with that truck. It was an absolutely fantastic vehicle and I finally sold it with 196k miles on the odometer. The only reason I sold it was I wanted an extended cab and I figured it was time to sell and move on rather than invest more money into it replacing shocks and breaks and another 100k mile service.

To replace it, I bought a 2003 GMC Sierra Extended Cab Z71 with a Rancho lift kit and 113k on the clock. Whoever owned it before me did not take care of it anywhere near as well as I did mine and in retrospect I never should have purchased it. I seem to be jumping down the rabbit whole with every new problem that crops up. I'm averaging about 11 mpg with this thing. After only a few months of owning it I've already decided to sell it.

So the questions is where do I go from here? I can't afford to buy new in my present situation (especially with the current cost of trucks).

I want a truck that will last me. I'd like to get 15 years out of it. I take care of my vehicles. I don't want to pour money into junk though.

All of this has led me to look at 7.3L Ford Powerstrokes (1999 to 2003). Seems to be an extremely reliable and strong engine and transmission with a well built truck surrounding it.

Any thoughts?

Oils and Lotions SME
    7.3s are very robust and tend to live long lives. Ball joint replacement and other front end stuff is to be expected on those trucks. Don't expect 20 mpg, anyone who told you that was either cherry picking results or flat out lying. (Or maybe they all live in Kansas and drive 40mph everywhere.) The Superchips tuners worked very well on those engines and didn't usually hurt anything. You can probably find them cheap used now.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Oils and Lotions SME
    Also, lifted trucks with bigger tires=crappy mileage. 1) Because of more rolling resistance due to upsized tire, and 2) Due to a bunch more air under the truck's front end at highway speeds.

Old man tires, stock ride heights, and 2wd are fuel mileage's best friend.

Be prepared for much higher maintenance costs. There were also a laundry list of issues with that model truck depending on which year you pick up. Ball joints, coolant leaks, brake issues... Not to mention gas mileage not near as good as advertised.

Honestly, go with the smallest truck you can get by with. If you don't need to toe heavy trailers you don't really need the additional expense of a diesel.

And long term, a paid for vehicle is cheaper than making payments even if the gas mileage sucks and you have to pay for repairs every couple years.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

You also may want to check fuel availability. My nearest gas station recently replaced their diesel pumps with marine gas. I live near the coast, so I suppose it is somewhat understandable. I haven't lived in California for a long time, but it seems as if California would not be a diesel friendly state. It may not be available everywhere.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I owned one. 1999 Ford Super Duty, kept it until 160,000 miles then sold it. From a strictly financial perspective, no, it's not a good idea.

1) Maintenance costs are higher. A DIY oil change using synthetic will be about $80. Using non-synthetic results in "romping" during cold weather start ups, injector tick, etc.

2) Ball joints, $1100. Figure every 100k or less, depending on roads. If its got a lift....pffft, good luck.

3) Fuel. I keep meticulous fuel records. In about 70% highway driving I got 17mpg over the life of the truck. Keeping in mind diesel cost more, I didn't save anything.

I sold it, bought a 1978 GMC and drove it while I saved up a down payment on a new truck. In 2012 I bought a brand new Ram with lifetime warranty and should be able to drive it for 10-15 years easily.

Oils and Lotions SME
    I have an '06 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax. It's given me very little trouble in the 160k miles since I bought it new. I can't see me buying another one, unless you are towing heavy, I'd pass on the diesels.

Gas engines have gotten very reliable and durable in the past few years, unless you're towing, I'd stick with a gas engine.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Gas engines have gotten very reliable and durable in the past few years, unless you're towing, I'd stick with a gas engine.
    I am in agreement on this. In 2003, I bought a brand new 2500 4wd Dodge Cummins and it has been a great truck. I tow a boat and occasionally a travel trailer, and that is where the great mileage and torque really help. in this part of the country where steep grades are not uncommon, I can pass about anything, even with a 5000 lb. trailer on the back.

The best mileage I have ever got while unloaded was 22 MPG while driving 65 MPH. Mine is a 6 speed manual which helps but those that tell you 20 with an automatic are probably looking at the dash display and not the actual numbers, or have chipped the truck which will throw the dash display in the positive direction.

If I didn't tow, I would get a 1/2 ton pickup with a small V8 and call it good. Especially if I did a lot of around town driving.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

7.3 Powerstrokes a prime targets for theft. It's a good truck if you want to subsidize someone else's repair cost.

Most of the 7.3s out on the market are there because they need repair or have become too expensive to maintain.

If you don't need a truck all the time, Uhaul rents trucks for $20 a day, plus $10 for their coverage, plus $1 a mile, plus gas, plus tax. It's not convenient but it's far cheaper to rent for occasional use than it is to own.

User Tag List