Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persuasive Arguments for owning firearms

Persuasive Arguments for owning firearms

I have a brother in law who says he wants to learn to shoot and own a firearm. Through this forum I found him a 2025 at 395.00 including shipping but he feels that is too much for a starter gun. Obviously I disagree. And he can afford anything he picked so finances are not an issue.
    I'm looking for articles about how to pick your first weapon, I feel take him to rental range and shoot various guns until he finds something he can shoot relatively well, and also arguments for achieving the mind set and skills necessary, perhaps examples of common occurrences that could help get the uninitiated off of the fence and to actually get started.

Everyone has a process for learning new things and starting out. Obviously no one wants to spend more than they believe they should on a first or starter gun.

You should appeal the practical side that most people will understand. For example, a glock 19 will do many things, parts are readily accessible and resale value is constant so there is hardly a risk. 9mm is cheap and so on.

As for mindset, that comes on its own through carrying, usage and implementation.

Id suggest training with someone who can contribute well towards his needs.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I have a brother in law who says he wants to learn to shoot and own a firearm. Through this forum I found him a 2025 at 395.00 including shipping but he feels that is too much for a starter gun. Obviously I disagree. And he can afford anything he picked so finances are not an issue.
    I'm looking for articles about how to pick your first weapon, I feel take him to rental range and shoot various guns until he finds something he can shoot relatively well, and also arguments for achieving the mind set and skills necessary, perhaps examples of common occurrences that could help get the uninitiated off of the fence and to actually get started.
    Feel free to steal this and put your name on it...

Dear BIL,
    If you trust me enough to ask me to teach you to shoot, please trust me just a tiny bit more when I tell you what it's going to cost for a reliable weapon. If you try the weapon and don't like it, we should find you another one that you do like, but this one is a excellent choice and very INEXPENSIVE given it's features and reputation for reliability. I would not trust my sisters well being to a cheap-ass Taurus.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

If he's willing to invest the time to read a book, Tom Given's recent edition of "Fighting Smarter" would be a great authoritative resource on both the software and hardware side.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Good advice all thank you.

The Concealed Handgun Manual and Thank God I had a gun, both by Chris Bird, are perfect for giving a person the proper motivation.

400 bucks is cheap as hell, a hundred more and you have quality for life.

Perhaps he'd be better served renting guns until he settles on one he wouldn't mind ponying up for. No point in buying something that runs a chance of falling apart or shooting you with a projectile hammer and replacing it 5 times
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I don't get the idea of a "starter gun". Isn't that a small .22 revolver filled with blanks?

The idea that one should buy cheap crap since it's his first and then buy quality later seems pretty stupid. $200 for cheap crap followed by $500 for something decent later on is $700 to get to the same place you could have been just laying out the $500 the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
    The idea that one should buy cheap crap since it's his first and then buy quality later seems pretty stupid. $200 for cheap crap followed by $500 for something decent later on is $700 to get to the same place you could have been just laying out the $500 the first time.
    Agreed. That $200 would be much better spent on a holster, mag pouches, and extra mags, or (of course) ammo.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know what a 2025 is, but what is he thinking he wants to spend?

Sometimes we get blinded by what we consider obvious. For most of us firearms are more than just a hobby. For the newbie, though, he may be looking at it like a hobby. If you are deciding if you want to get into photography, do you buy a super expensive camera or a "starter" camera and see if you really like it before getting too much of an investment? That's likely where he's at.

Look, I've started people out on High Points and H&R .22 revolvers. The important part is they start. I started out on a Taurus 85CH, which is a horrid beginner's gun, but I progressed. Give him the chance to do the same. Get some buddies together for a range day and invite him a long, let him shoot a variety of guns, the range rentals are a great idea, etc. Just don't push too hard. If he buys a crap gun, he'll learn from that.

User Tag List