Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio cop praised for restraint, refusing to shoot suspect

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You don't believe in luck but you believe in chance?

In this situation it was the unwillingness of the suspect to take further action that stopped things from escalating, no luck or chance involved.
    Perhaps I was splitting hairs. I don't disagree that his response put him at great risks.

ETA: I was just eluding to the reality that doing it "right" doesn't necessarily guarantee success anymore than doing it "wrong" guarantees failure.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Perhaps I was splitting hairs. I don't disagree that his response put him at great risks.

ETA: I was just eluding to the reality that doing it "right" doesn't necessarily guarantee success anymore than doing it "wrong" guarantees failure.
    Ok, I am tracking now, didnt get that from your post, but can understand what you meant now.

Nothing ever guarantees success, you can do everything right and still end up losing or failing.

I would say that his actions gave him a greater chance of failure.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I don't know enough to comment whether his actions were right or wrong, but the other side of this outcome is Deputy Dinkheller.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Past history is not a bulletproof predictor of future conduct. I witnessed a veteran choke on a FoF exercise instructed by my local PD, and in a broadly similar teaching scenario.
    I don't consider this the cop choking. I may not agree with what he did but I honestly believe (besides stumbling) he knew exactly what he was doing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post
    I don't know enough to comment whether his actions were right or wrong, but the other side of this outcome is Deputy Dinkheller.
    Exactly. The problem is this officer's fortuitous outcome will reinforce his I assure response with many administrators and members of the public.

Is it possible that the suspect was trying to lull the officer in to a false sense of security by challenging the officer to shoot him?

If he really wanted to get shot then why stop when he did?

The officer was on the ground and backup was there, he was probably only a split second away from getting his “wish”.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Is it possible that the suspect was trying to lull the officer in to a false sense of security by challenging the officer to shoot him?

If he really wanted to get shot then why stop when he did?

The officer was on the ground and backup was there, he was probably only a split second away from getting his “wish”.
    I have been thinking about this a lot today. I wonder if the dispatch stating "suicide by cop" made the cop more hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have been thinking about this a lot today. I wonder if the dispatch stating "suicide by cop" made the cop more hesitant.
    Without picking this incident apart: If that was indeed the case, it should have made him MORE assertive - not less. Some suicide by COP participants are more than willing to use DF to get a reaction from responding officers and their aggressive behavior isn't always a ruse. If the first responding officer won't react like they want, the next guy up WILL be motivated to shoot if he sees his fellow officer(s) threatened.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I'm glad everything worked out for the officer. One thing I will comment on is that he had excellent draw speed.

ok so after watching the video for the fourth time, I was curious why he never went off line of the threat.

User Tag List