Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio cop praised for restraint, refusing to shoot suspect

A guy that served with this cop said (on another forum) that he's a Marine combat vet (1/4, sounds like a grunt).
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A guy that served with this cop said (on another forum) that he's a Marine combat vet (1/4, sounds like a grunt).
    pretty positive your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    I'm glad everything worked out for the officer.
    Me too, and I would hope that goes without saying for anyone posting commentary about any officer’s actions done in good faith. I’ve personally taken unacceptable risks many times and not suffered any serious consequence, but that’s no reason to condone similar behavior. If you put your head in the lion’s mouth often enough, you may eventually lose it.

With that in mind, I view the constructive critique of incidents like this to be learning points for anyone so inclined.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have been thinking about this a lot today. I wonder if the dispatch stating "suicide by cop" made the cop more hesitant.
    Perhaps the hesitation is more insidious.

As a minority, I have to confess the possession of a material advantage.Should I be involved in a Use of Force/Self Defense incident, my career and reputation wont be on the line;itll be a routine and proper investigation based on facts.

Every male police officer with light complexion has a bulls eye on his back the moment his gun comes out-so every lethal force incident now carries a risk of being the next "OMGZ RACIST COP SHOOTS UNARMED MAN " video .

I can understand why a light skinned male officer-especially one working for a department/city government that champions "Courageous Restraint" -would wait until there's absolutely zero doubt he's justified in pulling the trigger. Ive little doubt this video would be labelled "OMGZ UNARMED MENTALLY ILL MAN GUNNED DOWN IN THE STREET" had he fired when the suspect charged.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ok so after watching the video for the fourth time, I was curious why he never went off line of the threat.
    Because strange things happen when the SHTF. You forget some things, yet do others well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Because strange things happen when the SHTF. You forget some things, yet do others well.
    ya wasnt trying to be an ass. everyone else pointed out what went "wrong", that was the only thing i saw that made me curious.

Didn't think you were.

I've done strange things under stress. I can recall a dog charging at me years ago, and I went to draw my pistol...I distinctly remember undoing the buttons of the suit jacket very nimbly and dexterously.

Surreal. Strange and surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Didn't think you were.

I've done strange things under stress. I can recall a dog charging at me years ago, and I went to draw my pistol...I distinctly remember undoing the buttons of the suit jacket very nimbly and dexterously.

Surreal. Strange and surreal.
    My bad, I know exactly where your coming from

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Exactly. The problem is this officer's fortuitous outcome will reinforce his I assure response with many administrators and members of the public.
    This is my concern as well. 99% of the idiots watching the black box in their living rooms won't realize that this officer is alive because of another's inability or unwillingness to act rather than because of his own actions. Whatever you want to call it; fate, luck, chance...this officer is not dead or seriously injured because the perp chose not to do those things to him. NOT a good position to be in IMO.

We will see political hacks heap praise in this guy and try to coerce others to behave the same. Unfortunately, when (NOT if) some officer gets hurt in the near future showing such great restraint those same hacks won't be accepting any blame.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    This is my concern as well. 99% of the idiots watching the black box in their living rooms won't realize that this officer is alive because of another's inability or unwillingness to act rather than because of his own actions. Whatever you want to call it; fate, luck, chance...this officer is not dead or seriously injured because the perp chose not to do those things to him. NOT a good position to be in IMO.

We will see political hacks heap praise in this guy and try to coerce others to behave the same. Unfortunately, when (NOT if) some officer gets hurt in the near future showing such great restraint those same hacks won't be accepting any blame.
    Indeed, I don't blame him since he's fine, but the retards that will latch onto this type of inactivity will be damaging in the overall picture.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List