Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas legislature is hearing HB910 (Licensed Open Carry)

Site Supporter

Texas legislature is hearing HB910 (Licensed Open Carry)

Rep. Jonathan Stickland can't kill it with votes, so he's trying to kill it with amendments. 162 of them in fact. You can watch the drama here:
    http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPl...&event_id=1362
    They are updating the amendments, almost real time, here:
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...84R&Bill=HB910
    Get a bottle of tums if you want to tune in and are DERP sensitive.

A lot of this comes as reaction to Kory and company.

Site Supporter
    One of Stickland's idiot amendments was pull for "lack of germaneness." He wasted a good 30 minutes in a petty temper tantrum with parliamentary inquiries. It was fun to watch. This guy just burned up a LOT of political capital today.
    I suspect this may significantly reduce the bulk of that 162 amendments he had lined up.

Site Supporter
    Stickland's gun bills are for "Constitutional Carry".
    I'm not sure I see him as trying to kill HB 910. He's trying to move 910 closer to Constitutional Carry, but that would kill it in the Senate. It's wrong behavior. If your bill is dead, don't fuck up a bill that makes good progress but doesn't get you what you want. There is good reason to believe that if LICENSED OC passes (HB 910) then Constitutional Carry will not have anyone left willing to spend political capital on it and it will never come to pass. In that light, Stickland's behavior is not all that unforgivable, it's an issue he cares deeply about. I'm not going to vote him out of office for this (he's not my guy anyway, he's next precinct over). Too bad his Constitutional Carry Bill was killed by all the DERPs OCing "at" people in Starbucks and Chipotle. I'm pissed too, but they brought down Constitutional Carry. They can deal with the consequences.

Stickland's Amendment 18, the only Amendment to pass, moved the penalty for ignoring a valid no guns sign from a Class A (jail time possible) to Class C (max $200 fine). A very good Amendment, IMO.

HB 910 adopted SB 17 as a Committee substitute, so, the only thing left to reconcile is for the Senate to approve the one Amendment and the Governor to sign it.
    Pretty close to done.

Next session we need a full court press on HB 308. it's a much more important bill than OC, but less politically showy.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm not sure I see him as trying to kill HB 910. He's trying to move 910 closer to Constitutional Carry, but that would kill it in the Senate. It's wrong behavior. If your bill is dead, don't fuck up a bill that makes good progress but doesn't get you what you want. There is good reason to believe that if LICENSED OC passes (HB 910) then Constitutional Carry will not have anyone left willing to spend political capital on it and it will never come to pass. In that light, Stickland's behavior is not all that unforgivable, it's an issue he cares deeply about. I'm not going to vote him out of office for this (he's not my guy anyway, he's next precinct over). Too bad his Constitutional Carry Bill was killed by all the DERPs OCing "at" people in Starbucks and Chipotle. I'm pissed too, but they brought down Constitutional Carry. They can deal with the consequences.

Stickland's Amendment 18, the only Amendment to pass, moved the penalty for ignoring a valid no guns sign from a Class A (jail time possible) to Class C (max $200 fine). A very good Amendment, IMO.

HB 910 adopted SB 17 as a Committee substitute, so, the only thing left to reconcile is for the Senate to approve the one Amendment and the Governor to sign it.
    Pretty close to done.

Next session we need a full court press on HB 308. it's a much more important bill than OC, but less politically showy.
    Looks like one other Amendment passed changing one word... Nursing HOME to Nursing FACILITY... Can't imagine this will be difficult to get the Senate to confirm.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pretty close to done.

I realize I'm kicking over a large can of philosophical worms asking this-but the actions of the OC DERP squad make it clear constitutional carry will NOT be responsibly exercised without a minimal level of vetting.

Are we approaching the age where "We the People" are entrusted with rights we collectively are NOT remotely responsible enough to exercise? What comes first then-common sense, or principle?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I realize I'm kicking over a large can of philosophical worms asking this-but the actions of the OC DERP squad make it clear constitutional carry will NOT be responsibly exercised without a minimal level of vetting.

Are we approaching the age where "We the People" are entrusted with rights we collectively are NOT remotely responsible enough to exercise? What comes first then-common sense, or principle?
    Principle.

Failure to follow the law already has sufficient consequences.
    DERP too far and you go to jail. No need to take away rights because someone might DERP.
    "Commonsense gun laws"? I'll take my chances with having to endure some DERP with my Liberty. TYVM

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    but the actions of the OC DERP squad make it clear constitutional carry will NOT be responsibly exercised without a minimal level of vetting.
    Yes, it's been a disaster in Vermont. And Arizona. And Alaska. And Wyoming. And Arkansas. And I sure won't want to be in Kansas come July 2nd...

If Constitutional Carry ever passes in Texas, it, too, will become a Hobbesian wasteland; quickdraw duels will be fought over the last squirt of cherry syrup in the 1,000-flavor Coke machine in Chipotle.

Principle.

Failure to follow the law already has sufficient consequences.
    DERP too far and you go to jail. No need to take away rights because someone might DERP.
    "Commonsense gun laws"? I'll take my chances with having to endure some DERP with my Liberty. TYVM
    Agreed.

Derp before dishonor!*

(*no, that's not 100% along the same lines but it has a good ring to it)
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I realize some of you are trying to lighten up a rather dark topic, but this runs deeper than I suspect some of you are giving it credit for…

IOW, these OC morons are REALLY hurting the "constitutional carry" concept in many places. I say this both from a normal citizen (which I am now) standpoint, and an LE (which I was for almost 30 years) standpoint. Which means I think Gardone's point is valid… some of these felony stoopids don't "deserve" their constitutional rights.

That said…DO NOT make the mistake of assuming I harbor anti-2A sentiments. Don't even go there. But if there is ANYONE reading this who hasn't run across some hydrocephalic idiot with a firearm that made them nervous (in a non-criminal offense setting) then I submit you need to get out more often.

Of course, there isn't much we can do about it, and I certainly don't have any viable solutions to offer. Yes, I realize there are a few places that OC is a normal, accepted practice that doesn't upset the sheeple. But that does not include most of these United States. All I'm saying is, these fools have the capability of wrecking our hard-won CCW priviledges. And please… spare me the argument that they are rights, not priviledges. I agree; but there are a lot more folks, many in positions of power and influence, who do not.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^ I thought GVT was asking a different question and don't disagree with the above post.

User Tag List