Thread: Best Ready Positions?

Best Ready Positions?

I found this interesting article that talks about the variety of ready positions and their alternatives.
    After taking Paul Sharp's class at Rangemaster, I have become fond of the "Relaxed High Ready" position, and it works well in IDPA.

http://americancopmagazine.com/ready-positions/

Thoughts on ready positions for concealed carry? (If it is different for LEO's, that would be interesting to know as well.)
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Point of context: My commentary is based on my solely on my previous experiences as a LEO and my current status as a routinely armed private citizen; not competition.

My simple-minded logic always dictates that the only useful ready position is to put the gun between me and the threat (or potential location of a threat) – being mindful of Rule 2 when applicable.

Regardless of how many hands I have on the gun and whether it is held close to the body, and partially or fully extended, the ENVIRONMENT and the CIRCUMSTANCES ENCOUNTERED IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION are the only factors that determine what is appropriate.

In other words, my ready position is a dynamic subject to constant change.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Ready positions need to allow unobstructed vision.

A person should have a ready position that allows efficient engagement.

A person should have a ready position that mitigates being close to a threat.

A person should have a ready position that doesn't project deadly force straight forward.

Probably a lot of ways to cover those with a small number of ready positions, but it's probably going to be more than one.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List