10 11.76%
  • S&W M&P Compact, 3.5", DAO, 21.7oz.

15 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BUG Guns for IDPA competition

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    THANKS!!!
    Not sure anybody will be shooting BUG in 40cal, unless they seriously download the charge. I assume the 9mm is the same?
    Cody
    USP C 9 and 40 are similar size, but the USP C 45 is bigger. I have a USP C 40 with an extra .357 Sig barrel, light LEM, and HD sights. Great gun, but not my first choice for gun games. Triggers have shorter reset than the P2000 and P30.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    USP C 9 and 40 are similar size, but the USP C 45 is bigger. I have a USP C 40 with an extra .357 Sig barrel, light LEM, and HD sights. Great gun, but not my first choice for gun games. Triggers have shorter reset than the P2000 and P30.
    If the USPc really is legit for IDPA BUG, it will become the gun of choice for this division no doubt. It's going to be far easier to shoot quickly than a Glock 19 or even the M&P9c, as it is basically just about as big as the box will allow (just like the G34 is the gun of choice for ESP/SSP).

I measured my FM Detective today using our club's IDPA box and it's bug legal so I'll be using that.

I think this is all very bizarre. I don't understand the logic that goes into these gun games. A BUG division is created so that people can get some time in on their BUGs.....but no one will actually shoot what, in real life, qualifies as a BUG because they'll be shooting their bigger carry gun as the division allows it (USPc, G26, M&P Compact, ect).

Why not rename it the carry gun division, and actually make the BUG division a place where people will shoot actual BUGs?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Why not rename it the carry gun division, and actually make the BUG division a place where people will shoot actual BUGs?
    I agree that the name doesn't seem to match the rules very well. The 30 oz weight thing seems especially silly to me, given that a G17, inarguably a full size gun, weighs in at ~25 oz. Of course, in any game, you can expect people to find the position of maximum advantage and use it in order to win, because it's a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If the USPc really is legit for IDPA BUG, it will become the gun of choice for this division no doubt. It's going to be far easier to shoot quickly than a Glock 19 or even the M&P9c, as it is basically just about as big as the box will allow (just like the G34 is the gun of choice for ESP/SSP).
    I think you may have meant the Glock 26 for BUG division as the Glock 19 is too large. The G19 is legal for the new CCP division, as well as SSP and ESP.

AD (now that I think about it, the G26 is also good for CCP, SSP and ESP)

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    I think you may have meant the Glock 26 for BUG division as the Glock 19 is too large. The G19 is legal for the new CCP division, as well as SSP and ESP.

AD (now that I think about it, the G26 is also good for CCP, SSP and ESP)
    Yes, meant the G26. Thanks for catching my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think this is all very bizarre. I don't understand the logic that goes into these gun games. A BUG division is created so that people can get some time in on their BUGs.....but no one will actually shoot what, in real life, qualifies as a BUG because they'll be shooting their bigger carry gun as the division allows it (USPc, G26, M&P Compact, ect).

Wasn't ALL of IDPA supposed to be the carry gun division? :P

No matter where you draw the line on the size/weight of a BUG gun, there will be at least ten prevailing opinions on why it should be lower or higher or the same. The Glock 26, being one of the most popular BUG guns, is 3.42" barrel and about 25oz. That is not far from the 3.6" and 29oz limit set by IDPA. Imagine the controversy if IDPA had chosen 3.0" and 23oz as the limit...people would have cried about it excluding the Glock 26.

If IDPA had set it for 3.5" and 22oz, cries of trying to protect S&W over Glock would have been heard. If it had been set at 3.1" and 16oz, cries that it excluded the SPringfield XDS would have been heard, etc., etc.

The definition of a BUG gun has changed over time as the technology has improved, and that is a challenge. Also, who is carrying the BUG seems to make a big difference. My own experience with LE guys who shoot IDPA is they like larger, heavier BUG guns, and CCW guys tend towards the mouse guns like the Sig P238 or LCP or Bodyguard. Get two of your buddies and ask about BUG gun recommendations and you will get four opinions.

By setting the bar low it enables people to compete in their BUG gun of choice. If I could have set it, I would have set the limit at 3.1" barrel and 20oz (Sorry G26 guys), mainly because people tend towards lighter weight guns. But that is just one man's opinion...
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    No matter where you draw the line on the size/weight of a BUG gun, there will be at least ten prevailing opinions on why it should be lower or higher or the same. The Glock 26, being one of the most popular BUG guns, is 3.42" barrel and about 25oz. That is not far from the 3.6" and 29oz limit set by IDPA. Imagine the controversy if IDPA had chosen 3.0" and 23oz as the limit...people would have cried about it excluding the Glock 26.

If IDPA had set it for 3.5" and 22oz, cries of trying to protect S&W over Glock would have been heard. If it had been set at 3.1" and 16oz, cries that it excluded the SPringfield XDS would have been heard, etc., etc.

The definition of a BUG gun has changed over time as the technology has improved, and that is a challenge. Also, who is carrying the BUG seems to make a big difference. My own experience with LE guys who shoot IDPA is they like larger, heavier BUG guns, and CCW guys tend towards the mouse guns like the Sig P238 or LCP or Bodyguard. Get two of your buddies and ask about BUG gun recommendations and you will get four opinions.

By setting the bar low it enables people to compete in their BUG gun of choice. If I could have set it, I would have set the limit at 3.1" barrel and 20oz (Sorry G26 guys), mainly because people tend towards lighter weight guns. But that is just one man's opinion...
    Cody
    It should be air weight J frames only, minimum power factor 165 or higher :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    It should be air weight J frames only, minimum power factor 165 or higher [emoji14]
    My hand hurts just reading thst.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List