Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: New Star Wars Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Shows promise.

Looks pretty darn good. Hope it’s available outside of Disney +.

Site Supporter
    Was that Werner Herzog at the end?

It is! Nick Nolte's in it too.

Please don't suck, please don't suck...

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-25-2019 at 06:44 AM.

I refuse to get another streaming service, so I may never know how the new ST and SW shows are.

I have not liked the new trilogy much, aside from the dopamine rush of my first viewings. I like the standalones better, they actually try to tell complete stories. Corporate mandates (particularly the "re-make the first trilogy" plan) have crippled the new trilogy.

My best-to-worst SW films list:

1) ESB (pissed me off at age 6)

2) Star Wars (the title when I saw it)

3) Rogue One

4) ROTJ

5) ROTS

6) Solo

7) TPM/AOTC (tie, same virtues and problems)

8) The Last Jedi

9) The Force Awakens

At this point, although I will definitely see TROS in the theater, it's out of inertia. I wish I had seen Solo in the theater, though, so I am willing to be surprised. I figured Solo would be shit, was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it on a big TV. It's place on the list above is a bit arbitrary, since it aims lower than any other film, but hits that low mark very solidly. Unlike the first two prequel films that aim sky-high and fail repeatedly (they still look and sound beautiful, though).

For my money, the first Knights of the Old Republic game had a better story than most of the SW sequels, I would put it at number three on my list above if it was a film.

I more focused on the new Dune flicks and series. I hope Kevin Anderson has very little to no influence on any of it....
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Please don't suck, please don't suck...
    You can say that again. I won't hold my breath, given how Disney has treated this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I refuse to get another streaming service, so I may never know how the new ST and SW shows are.

I have not liked the new trilogy much, aside from the dopamine rush of my first viewings. I like the standalones better, they actually try to tell complete stories. Corporate mandates (particularly the "re-make the first trilogy" plan) have crippled the new trilogy.

3) Rogue One

4) ROTJ

5) ROTS

6) Solo

8) The Last Jedi

9) The Force Awakens

At this point, although I will definitely see TROS in the theater, it's out of inertia. I wish I had seen Solo in the theater, though, so I am willing to be surprised. I figured Solo would be shit, was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it on a big TV. It's place on the list above is a bit arbitrary, since it aims lower than any other film, but hits that low mark very solidly. Unlike the first two prequel films that aim sky-high and fail repeatedly (they still look and sound beautiful, though).

For my money, the first Knights of the Old Republic game had a better story than most of the SW sequels, I would put it at number three on my list above if it was a film.

I more focused on the new Dune flicks and series. I hope Kevin Anderson has very little to no influence on any of it....
    New Dune flicks and series? Didn’t know that was a thing
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    New Dune flicks and series? Didn’t know that was a thing
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

ETA - I've been disappointed enough by Hollywood as of late that there are very few movies I would bother to go see in theaters. This is probably going to be worth taking a chance on.
    Last edited by Shoresy; 08-25-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post

ETA - I've been disappointed enough by Hollywood as of late that there are very few movies I would bother to go see in theaters. This is probably going to be worth taking a chance on.
    Totally agree. The IMDb info was awesome. Thanks.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I'm down for more stand alone stories, since I'm really over the whole Skywalker family drama. We've drug that out long enough. The last three entries seem to largely be SJW regurgitations of the first three. So, they bore me and insult me at the same time. I thought Rogue One was in the top three of the franchise entires, so give me more like that. Most of my Star Wars fanatic friends hated it, but their far too emotionally invested to realize they're their own worst enemy. The Mandalorian looks promising, so I might have to grit my teeth and sign up for Disney+.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post

Denis Villeneuve has certainly proved he can make good, intelligent SF films. He claims to be a long time fan of the franchise. I feel solid about him directing the films.

OTOH, the prequels and sequels to the Herbert books done by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's son read like shitty Star Wars novels--in some spots, more like Transformers!. And they have a hand in the first TV series. I am expecting great things from the first films adapting the original book, but I am steeling myself for a shitty franchise. I have a feeling competing with the MCU and SW is the ultimate game plan, and that doesn't bode well.

Ultimately, the original Dune books were a deconstruction of the Ubermench. That doesn't seem to be an idea that the corporate overlords are keen on promoting. It is a message we could really use now, in the era of the Superhero.

Coming back to the new ST film, judging by the title, I am betting they are going to dump the "you don't need a special lineage to be a hero" idea that showed up in TLJ into the dumpster and make it all about destined bloodlines again. Too bad, it was what I liked best about that film.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 08-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

3) Rogue One

4) ROTJ

5) ROTS

6) Solo

8) The Last Jedi

9) The Force Awakens

Solo was a solitary disaster. Even Woody Harrelson and Queen of Dragons etc couldn’t save that mess.

That being stated....it’s still 21 parsecs ahead of “The Clone Wars”. Big Pharma lost major coin when that cure for insomnia hit the DVD row.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List