Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Felon attacks open carrier for weapon

Conversely, in rural Alaska, open carry of handguns is the default carry method, and nobody thinks twice about it. It is more odd to see someone there without a gun, and questions such as "do you need to borrow a gun" often follow. (Now holster choices is a whole different discussion.)

In town, we cover them up. Open carry there seems out of place, and me me wonder about the intentions of the open carrier.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In town, we cover them up. Open carry there seems out of place, and me me wonder about the intentions of the open carrier.
    "Fashion Accessory" just about covers it.

'Look ma, I gots the Secret Service gun on my hip!'

I encountered one of these folks at an old telecom job.Guy had a Rock Island full rail 1911 in a sausage sack , carried chamber empty with a loaded magazine. No retention, and the same amount of situational awareness.

You might ask how it is I know it was a full rail.
    Guy was nice enough to offer to show it off.His words were-"My gun doesnt make you nervous, right? Here i'll show ya what I got....(sweeps the entire office as he fumbles with the mag release)"

Meanwhile, his wife has the "ohdeargawdnotagain" expression , and the other store customers are justifiably concerned. Me with them- he carried that thing in such a haphazard manner that it would be eaiser for someone to steal it out of the holster and shoot then the owner himself could draw.I was sorely tempted to call 911 and get him hauled out for brandishing, but he put it away after Wifey all but ordered him to behave.

That was an interesting shift, topped only when the local campus police cheif whipped out his pocket carried LCP for show and tell......
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    OC advocates routinely say no one has been targeted for their weapon. I can give 5 specific incidents I have personally investigated where an OC victim was targeted for their handgun. The next line of denial is "how do you know they were targeted for their handgun, they could have been targeted anyway." Sure. Except I get to talk to victims and suspects (who don't lawyer up) so yes, random Internet guy, I do have a better understanding than you of why things happened they way they did. Luckily none have been seriously hurt, but only one managed to retain their weapon.
    Could you give some specifics?

Not a proponent of open carry aside for the whole Constitution thing; but then I'm also not a proponent of the blood will run in the streets if let this happen mentality either.

Many states have OC laws in the books and the blood letting has yet to begin. IMO that is partly cause the targeting is a very low percentage event as is the OC.

With that stated if you chose to OC be sure to understand the risks associated with allowing everyone, good or bad, to know you are armed.

Ever notice that rabid OC people seem to be real cheapskates? The Taurii/Highpoint/RIA in a sausage sack or Serpa seems to be a default mode for those who wind up with their photos on the internets (or a Mosin/TAPCo SKS/HighPoint for the long gun crowd).

Maybe they are too cheap to get a CCW?

I like the idea of Open Carry but would never carry that way in public. Around the house or on my property, sure.

Aside from the unwanted attention and loss of tactical advantages it can bring, I feel OC comes across as too much of a political stunt...

Thanks Obama, er, I mean OC Nuts!
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I have thought that myself.
    "A man's character is his fate."

maybe the state's attorney general has prohibited all non-residents from CC'ing unless there's reciprocity with their home state?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

This attack took place in Yakima, WA. Anyone who's been there more than 10 minutes knows it's a dangerous place. If you've been there 20 minutes, someone has told you that it's a major hub for illegal drug distribution.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The ones I have interacted with came in two general flavors; a deep desire to promote the Second Amendment, and attention whores.

While the former group isn't batty like the latter group, both share a peculiar lack of common sense; as in, this ain't the Old West, and the average citizen is unnerved by OC. They really cannot comprehend that they are doing more harm than good; even the ones who SEEM to be coherent.

Its a real mystery…

User Tag List