Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Okay..let's talk about S&W Bodyguards

The only firearm my grandfather ever owned for defense was a S&W model 49. The first J frame I owned was a model 38. I sometimes regret selling it but I prefer the wider front blade on the newer models. The other benefit to the bodyguard over the centennial versions is leverage of the hump during a gun grab.

My first snub was a 649. I have weird emotional attachment to them. They are ugly in a cool way, but I also find that they tend to sit properly in a pocket better than anything else. The Centennials are better at not being pocket lint collectors, but they still don't sit as good as the bodyguard.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    A blue Model 38 was my first S&W J-frame. Carried it off duty for a few years until all revolvers were disallowed by my work in the early '90s. Sold it to my nephew who is the Sheriff in a SW VA county who carries it as a BUG/off duty gun. My work still disallows revolvers so I got a state CWP so I can carry them on my own time. Bought a new 442 a couple of years ago and started missing the old Bodyguard. My next J-frame will definitely be one.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Carried it off duty for a few years until all revolvers were disallowed by my work in the early '90s.
    Curious as to what agency and the given reason why.

Unless you are an FBI agent; in which case, I know why.

Then again, it was much later than the early 90s when the Bureau banned all revolvers, so…

Nyeti,

As usual, those are some beautiful guns. I was taught to shoot revolvers on a 49, and have always loved them. That said, I'm one of those weird guys who likes DA triggers, revolver or auto, and can't find a downside to the Centennial's. I've won money shooting them at 50 yards, and would have no problem using them at distance if reality required it. Like someone posted above, I really prefer the better sights that come on them now, but for looks, nothing beats those older guns. Blue steel and stag is very classy.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    First..not the crappy new ones,
    While they lack all grace, refinement, or pride of ownership, I actually have had acceptable results with one of the new polymer BG 38's. Surprisingly, despite a terrible feel to the trigger the thing actually runs better than a new no lock M&P 340 that it served as back up to at a recent multi day snub class. The worthless laser got pulled off right away, but didn't even mess with the stocks and found them usable. Weapon has probably almost 1200 rounds on it now (with cleaning, did not try it for the 2K endurance test). Less abusive to the hand while almost the same weight - perhaps that rumoured polymer flex characteristic, though I don't know if that is actually the dynamic at work here or not.

It defies everything I would have expected, and everything that I wanted to think about the abomination against tradition. The cheap looking and feeling plastic is still nothing like the pretty BBQ J frames that everyone so loves - but mine are always working guns, and I generally don't care how they look at the end of the day as long as they run hard and without hesitation. (Though was slightly annoyed by the start of corrosion on the edge of the M&P 340 frame in less than a week from where I had bled on it constantly after it opened up my knuckles after the first high round count class day.)

I just wished they had given it some numerical name and not something that has such a storied history from the days before model numbers existed.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I just wished they had given it some numerical name and not something that has such a storied history from the days before model numbers existed.
    I don't disagree at all. Cannibalizing one's core brand equities for a low end new product launch is always a bad idea. And it is brand loyalty built by those who can tell the difference that makes for future chapters in that history. But marketing majors are never the brightest bulbs, and executives that live in place where gun rights have almost been extinguished likely know or care little about the meaning such history has for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    While they lack all grace, refinement, or pride of ownership, I actually have had acceptable results with one of the new polymer BG 38's.
    That's... disturbing...

User Tag List