Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay..let's talk about S&W Bodyguards

Okay..let's talk about S&W Bodyguards

First..not the crappy new ones, but the "unique looking" (code word for some people that think they are ugly) ones. I have always loved the things, and I don't know why. Realistically, the "42" guns make more sense in terms of functioning in the deep concealment role. The Bodyguards always got tons of lint and pocket crap in them, where the Internal hammer guns don't. I tend to use the internal hammer guns for most of my BUG revolver needs, but I still really like the Bodyguards. I have several and the first J frame I ever owned was a 649.

I have gotten the bodyguard bug again and recently grabbed a couple. So now I am on a little quest. I have been thinking about a good J frame for primary carry in a couple scenarios. While the 640 Pro makes the most sense, I have been thinking about trying to track down a 649-3. I really like this variant with a 2" barrel to better anchor it in appendix, the newer style cylinder release and no lock or MIM stuff ( although my guns with MIM parts have been really pretty good). So, does anyone have any experience with the 649-3 and likes, dislikes, or thoughts.

Of course.....a picture of my newest one. Model 38 Nickel with Cocobolo Spegel's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Not sure what exact commentary you're looking for?

I bought a post-'95 638 for daughter #2. Its unremarkable; a bit bigger and heavier than the beauty pictured above, has .357 capability... and anything of fairly recent production is going to have MIM parts. But like you said, those are fine, if not aesthetically pleasing.

That said... if I was looking at it from a primary/belt gun standpoint, I would definitely go with the all-steel example and probably load it with medium-weight-bullet magnums; because blast & flash = disorientation on the muzzle side.

Working in occupied territory again, are you?

Det. Tubbs always approved of the model 38

Attachment 3274

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Not sure what exact commentary you're looking for?

I bought a post-'95 638 for daughter #2. Its unremarkable; a bit bigger and heavier than the beauty pictured above, has .357 capability... and anything of fairly recent production is going to have MIM parts. But like you said, those are fine, if not aesthetically pleasing.

That said... if I was looking at it from a primary/belt gun standpoint, I would definitely go with the all-steel example and probably load it with medium-weight-bullet magnums; because blast & flash = disorientation on the muzzle side.

Working in occupied territory again, are you?

Yep. I have been looking at lots of revolver options. Was going to go full Hizzie with the Rugers, but I was only able to get my creds set up for S&W in .38/.357.

Also, part of the portion of the Revolver Round Up will be use of the snub as a primary. Something I really don't do, so I have had to really put some thought to what the best route would be. On paper...640 Pro, but like I said I have a weird love for the humpbacks, so the 649-3 seems to be the hot ticket.

Lyonsgrid, I think this guy has been the one who got me on the Bodyguard thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Yeah, well, you managed to schedule the Round-Up on the same week-end my youngest daughter is getting married. I are severely pissed...

Primary/belt carry opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities; mainly, the use of a GOOD set of stocks. With some Pachmyar Compacs on that puppy, and the SA capability, an across-the-parking-lot shot suddenly doesn't seem so daunting...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yeah, well, you managed to schedule the Round-Up on the same week-end my youngest daughter is getting married. I are severely pissed...

Primary/belt carry opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities; mainly, the use of a GOOD set of stocks. With some Pachmyar Compacs on that puppy, and the SA capability, an across-the-parking-lot shot suddenly doesn't seem so daunting...

Nope.....Smooth Cocobolo Spegel boot grips, because of standards. I am actually looking at a good micro fanny pack, deep front AIWB or IWB as far as carry. If it's going on a belt, I would likely go to a K frame.

I didn't know about 649's so made a trip to Google. I understand the appeal now. Following this to see where it goes.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    If it's going on a belt, I would likely go to a K frame.
    That would be my choice; I assumed incorrectly.

Dunno if I would go the fag bag route, though; because... well, you know.

I might be a FAG (former action guy), but at least I was an action guy at one point in life. I still love the fanny pack.

Cool.

Although if I ever see you in a Shoot-Me-First vest, I be worried…

User Tag List