Thread: sparking revolver

sparking revolver

This is interesting. I was performing some very basic PM on my carry 642 the other day (removing dust bunnies, checking the side plate screws, just generally looking it over), and after replacing the grip and inserting snap caps for testing, I noticed I was getting sparks at the firing pin every time I dry fired. I removed the snap caps and I would still get sparks. Not as big, and not every time, but definately still there.

I tested several other revolvers (another 642, a 640 and a 19) and no sparks. I didn't expect any. It seems to be limited to my cary 642. All I can think of is the firing pin is rubbing against the firing pin channel, but why now, all of a sudden? And what changed to cause this? The side plate hasn't been removed since last summer when Denny Reichard did a deluxe action job on it. I suppose it could have been doing this since then and I just hadn't noticed, but that seems highly unlikely.

I haven't removed the side plate myself to futz with the action, as I am not well versed in S&W innards. I'm not sure I would recognize anything out of the ordinary if I even saw it. I can always send it to the mother ship, but I hate to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Any ideas?

sparking revolver

My stock 442 does the same thing.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I have two that do it.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

mine too I called S&W and they said in was normal.
    http://youtu.be/KBmrwHasoXk

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    mine too I called S&W and they said in was normal.
    http://youtu.be/KBmrwHasoXk
    Off topic but I can't understand a word you said... You gotta speak southern American.

Site Supporter
    You have a rare flintlock J frame - put it on Gunbroker for $1,000,000��

Seriously, I have one that does it also-,it's normal.

Not the responses I was expecting. I'm not sure how "normal" it is, but at lease it's not unheard off. I still would like to know...

What is causing it?
    Why now, all of a sudden?
    How do I get rid of it?

I am assuming by its apparent frequency that it is still safe to carry and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    Off topic but I can't understand a word you said... You gotta speak southern American.
    My apologies but Im from Sodom AKA New York. But soon I will bring my family to America, either Louisiana or Alabama. Don't worry I vote like a Southerner and not a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I'm not sure how "normal" it is, but at lease it's not unheard off. I still would like to know...

What is causing it?
    Why now, all of a sudden?
    How do I get rid of it?
    1. Friction between the firing pin and firing pin bushing
    2. Its been doing it all along; you just now noticed it
    3. You cannot

Relax, there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the update. It just seems so bizarre. I called S&W and, just as you all have said, they told me it was somewhat normal (if not common) and was no problem. Gun is safe to shoot and carry. It may have been doing this since the gun was put together, or it may be recent. It might also just stop on its own. I could send it in and they would look it over and replace the firing pin, but this might not fix the "problem".

If I do send it in, they told me they might have to replace some or all the parts Denny worked on when he did the action job, but I would get those parts back. Nice way to get some free spare parts already fitted to this gun, but what a PITA. I may just learn to live with it. I know Mas Ayoob has Fluffy the pet revolver, maybe I'll have Sparky the pet revolver.

User Tag List