Thread: Ruger American Predator rifle

Ruger American Predator rifle

Anyone have any experience with the Ruger American Rifle? The threaded version is the "predator" model.

I got to handle one today, a 16" .308 w TB. Light, handy, and low price. No a great trigger, but a decent trigger. I have been looking for a bolt gun to supress. I was thinking rem 700 AAC or Savage hog hunter. But I liked the Ruger and the price was good.

This would be a fun gun, not a sniper rifle. Under 200yrd for hunting, probably out to 600 max for fun and ringing steel...

Any info on this gun?
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

The predator barrel should be 18" in 308, not that it matters honestly. I currently have the regular american compact that also has an 18" barrel, just the shorter stock. I have it set up as a pig gun with 1-4 VXR. With a Leupold, Talley rings and a cheek riser (you will need a cheek riser for it) the loaded weight comes in right at 7 lbs. A 5 shot group with 168gr TSX was right about 1.5". I am not very good with a rifle, but was very happy with the guns capability for the cost. Nothing that will blow you away, but as a tool it seems to work well.

Also, the trigger is adjustable and will go from being 'okay' to 'pretty decent'. I set mine where I'm happy, breaks smoothly at 4 lbs consistently. Again, nothing to brag about but very workable. I am content enough with the compact that I plan to pick up a predator and put higher magnification glass on it, throw the Harvester on and go find some deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

User Tag List