Thread: AAR – 2-Day Vogel Dynamic’s World Class Pistol Skills (Private)

AAR – 2-Day Vogel Dynamic’s World Class Pistol Skills (Private)

The following is my AAR from a recent 2-Day Vogel Dynamic’s World Class Pistol Skills private class

1) Provider: Vogel Dynamics

2) Owner: Robert Vogel

3) Phone / Web: 419-560-0954 / http://www.vogeldynamics.com/

4) E-mail: robert@vogeldynamics.com

5) When: April 10 & 11, 2015

6) Where: St Marys, OH

7) Accommodations: Holiday Inn, Lima, OH

8) Gear used: Glock 17 with Talon Grip Wrap (otherwise stock), Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle holster, Uncle Mike’s Kydex magazine pouches, Bison Design instructor belt and shooter produced reloads.

9) Cost: $1,600 class fees, $474 lodging for two nights, and $104 gas all split among the 4 students plus food and other miscellaneous expenses (highway tolls, etc.)

10) Did weather adversely affect training: No

11) Instructor’s Competence: Instructor’s skills and ability to apply them greatly exceeded my own by a factor of 4-5 times, of course.

12) Instructor’s Ethics: Outstanding

13) Safely Conducted: Yes

14) Condition of Equipment: Excellent

15) Food: Breakfast and dinner at local Lima, OH locations, lunch on-site.

16) Number of overall firearms’ related training classes for myself: Student – 7, Range Assistant/FoF Role Player - 3

17) Certificate issued: Yes

18) Training time: 16 hours

19) Written training plan: Unknown Followed: Unknown

20) Instructor to student ratio: 1/4

21) Round count: 1,323

22) Recommended: Highly

23) General comments: This was a 2-day private class for 4 students; myself and 3 shooting acquaintances. Originally, we had arranged for a 1-day class, but added the 2nd day to increase the training take-aways and off-set trip costs.

The four of us had previously discussed what we wanted out of the class. This included fundamentals, techniques and speed work and excluded what we called “gaming” and stage break down. This was discussed with Robert. The class included a lot of Robert’s philosophy and technique on shooting. For me it is important to positively note that Robert worked his law enforcement background into the entire class. I have pages of take-aways, but one of the top take-aways is that at Robert’s direction, and due to this course, I attempted, and even succeeded in some cases, to do things that I never thought I’d be able to do. For instance, tracking a swinger and shooting it versus shooting it at its apex and timing a swinger to engage other targets during its arc so as not to wait on the swinger to appear. Robert put forth no pre-requisites or classifications for the course. In the end my opinion is that the course was above my level, but at no time did I feel left behind or that Robert neglected me because of my skill level.

Drills were a combination of shooting skills and fundamentals and IDPA and USPSA shooting. There were standards’ establishment drills that Robert felt were important for each shooter to know such as the Bill drill, the Bill drill with transitions at 10/15/25 yards, the plate rack at 10 yards, the El Prez, etc. The timer was used always and prominently. There were movement drills to include both USPSA and IDPA-style movement around and through barrels. Some strong-hand only and some support-hand only drilling was included. Drills were typically ran in groups of 3 which helped to establish a time standard and then we would try to improve up on that time. Many tips on efficiency and explosiveness of physical movement were included. Day 1 culminated in walk-back steel shooting on a “C” zone target. One team member made it to 70 yards. Day 2 culminated, at our choice, with the plate rack at 25 yards. He only told us a technique or method one time. It was up to us to employ the technique or take it home to work on. His coaching style was positive in nature. Robert was meticulous in ensuring we received every minute of available training.

“Was it worth it?” I’ve been asked. Although I have 1 of Robert’s Panteo Production’s videos where he talks about his grip, seeing him explain it in person in, probably, less than 1 minute was worth 100 times more than the video. “Is he really that good?” I’ve been asked. In one drill our best team member, a state champion and pistol shooting machine, a shooter everyone who knows him aspires to be, shot 8 “As” within the parameters. Robert shot 15 within the same parameters. So, yes, it was worth it and, yes, he is REALLY that good.

I should probably mention my gear choices because someone will wonder why a guy would attend a Robert Vogel class with a nearly stock G17 and $20 holster. From the outset of shooting action pistol my goal has been to shoot as well as I can using normal, everyday equipment. That has meant stock sights, no connector work, no competition-oriented pistols. Traction on the grip has been it. I did upgrade my sights after 3 years in anticipation of the class, but the high quality set I chose actually made the normal Glock high point of impact twice as bad instead of better. I switched back to the stock sights before the class. I don’t regret my gear choices and I don’t believe they had a negative effect on my performance – only my skill-level did that. That being so, I will complete the sight upgrade and will be upgrading my holster. I learned in this class that the holster prevents me from forming the perfect strong-hand grip by about 1/8” right at the trigger guard. I experienced 1 stoppage with the G17 throughout the entire 1,323 rounds expended.

Communication from a service provider is very important to me. Robert was extremely easy to work with, was responsive to phone and e-mail communications, communicated well when doing so, and presented a professional business front. Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the experience.
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

First, thanks for the great write up. Very well done and helpful (good communication skills)

I've got huge respect for Vogel but have been hesitate to approach him for training for the following reasons:
    No way my grip strength will ever be close to his.
    His support hand grip position is canted/rolled so far down and forward (not sure I'm describing that very well) every time I've tried it I'm physically unable without hyper extending my elbow and feeling immediate sharp elbow pain. Its a no go for me.

His shooting style seems so dependent on factors unique to him, I don't know if what he teaches would be transferable to me because I can't do what he does, how he does.

Any insight from your experience?

Because Vogel's grip is different than yours doesn't mean you're not going to learn anything from him. And hell, maybe you'll end up liking his grip style better. I trained with Vogel just 2 weeks after my first handgun class, so it was a bit over my head and like drinking from a firehose. Had never shot while moving, or had to think while shooting before. Real eye opener for me and I'd probably get a lot more out of the class if I took it again today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    First, thanks for the great write up. Very well done and helpful (good communication skills)

I've got huge respect for Vogel but have been hesitate to approach him for training for the following reasons:
    No way my grip strength will ever be close to his.
    His support hand grip position is canted/rolled so far down and forward (not sure I'm describing that very well) every time I've tried it I'm physically unable without hyper extending my elbow and feeling immediate sharp elbow pain. Its a no go for me.

His shooting style seems so dependent on factors unique to him, I don't know if what he teaches would be transferable to me because I can't do what he does, how he does.

Any insight from your experience?
    First - just go train with him!

Second - my grip will NEVER be what his is either. I'll try to post a pic to illustrate this. He gave a demonstration to us where he had us hold the pistol in our established grip in the dominant hand then he gripped the pistol with his support hand. The amount of strength involved in that was significant, but a great demo of what I need to do within my own capabilities. I'm a runner - I'll never be the Kenyan, I'm a pistol shooter - I'll never be Vogel.

Although he and I execute the support hand grip slightly differently, the cant is very much the same. So, there is more than one way to skin a cat...

There is a lot more to the entire experience than the grip.

He has some very serious physical abilities and I'll try to post another pic to demonstrate that.

happy shooting, Jerry

This shows how much ground Robert covers at one time in the figure 8 drill.

Comparison - I'm 5'6", 145 lbs.

Good advice. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

Good review, thanks for posting.

Ditto to the kudos, excellent review!

User Tag List