Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Concealed Carry in the Era of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I had an interesting conversation about all things terrorism recently and some one asserted a pretty good point. One of the many reason we haven't had more "lone" terrorist attacks is the fact that unlike places like france, we have a lot of armed cops, armed former veterans, and armed legal citizens. This adds a factor that terrorists have to take in that makes it more difficult for them to carry out a "successful" attack. Do I think its the end all be all? Nope. Do I think it could contribute to the the fact we haven't had some like france happen since ISIS started gaining traction.. probably hasn't hurt
    Along those lines, here's an interesting compilation of stats on potential gun toters:

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...ted-States.pdf
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I recently visited Smithsonian museums in D.C. while carrying, and at one of the museums the security supervisor who let me in asked that if something went down, I refrain from participating because I might be mistaken for an attacker.

His (very sensible) request reminded me of this thread.
    How were you able to carry in DC?

BUT In any case. I hope you guys are right about the lone terrorist and the armed cops, vets, and legal citizens, but I don't think they really give a F**K. IMHO The only thing that really stops Terrorist/NUTS is the fact that they really don't want to do something yet. If an individual or group really wanted to cause extreme damage, and didn't care about getting caught or killed, it really would not be that hard.

Why are the events in Baltimore not considered domestic terrorism or hate crimes?? They had to cancel a Baseball game, and businesses in the financial district, which just so happen to be located on "The BLOCK" have closed early. The animals are setting fires and attacking the 1st responders when they show up. I have also heard police from other counties are heading that way to assist. It won't be long until the looting starts if it has not already. I doubt if the police will be able to offer much assistance to an individual if needed.

This is a text book case of concealed carry in the Error of Terror or better yet an AR with multiple loaded PMags. If you were caught in the middle of that SHIT you may not have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I had an interesting conversation about all things terrorism recently and some one asserted a pretty good point. One of the many reason we haven't had more "lone" terrorist attacks is the fact that unlike places like france, we have a lot of armed cops, armed former veterans, and armed legal citizens. This adds a factor that terrorists have to take in that makes it more difficult for them to carry out a "successful" attack. Do I think its the end all be all? Nope. Do I think it could contribute to the the fact we haven't had some like france happen since ISIS started gaining traction.. probably hasn't hurt
    That hasn't stopped any number of lone active shooters in the US. For that matter it hasn't stopped armed robberies. Why would it stop six guys intent on mayhem and martyrdom armed with AKs?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    How were you able to carry in DC?
    I'm a police officer, and I was carrying off duty under the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That hasn't stopped any number of lone active shooters in the US. For that matter it hasn't stopped armed robberies. Why would it stop six guys intent on mayhem and martyrdom armed with AKs?
    I do not make the same correlation with armed robberies and mass shootings so I will not address that. If you do research (I wrote a college paper/speech on why gun free zones are ineffective) you will find that most active shooters target areas where they are least likely to meet resistance. This is not unlike terrorists, especially the ones you describe. This is also why in South Helmand we mostly would have to respond to ANA or the border police being ambushed, the Taliban would often target them because they offered a easier target and the juice was worth the squeeze. I even state in my post that I do not believe this is the only reason, but I believe there is an argument to be made that it does little to hurt and does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I'm a police officer, and I was carrying off duty under the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.
    I should have known that. Thanks for your service ON and OFF duty

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    I should have known that. Thanks for your service ON and OFF duty
    While I truly appreciate the sentiment, frankly when off-duty the gun is there primarily to defend against immediate threats to myself and/or loved ones, not to serve the public.

This thread has brought up good reasons for such an approach (responsibility to secure loved ones, risk of blue-on-blue shooting, lack of armor, lack of coordination with on-duty responders, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Along those lines, here's an interesting compilation of stats on potential gun toters:

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...ted-States.pdf
    I don't accept that premise.There are places in America where concealed carry by non LE is effectively illegal. Urban New Jersey isn't much different from France in this area.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I don't accept that premise.There are places in America where concealed carry by non LE is effectively illegal. Urban New Jersey isn't much different from France in this area.
    Piggy backing off of this, that is why I believe cities such as New Jersey and New York have to be more on guard then say Helena, Montana. It unfortunate that average men and women are effectively defenseless until first res-ponders arrive.

User Tag List