Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The philosophy behind carry rotation or no rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    When I can print the same 25 yard groups from my Glock 19 as from 1911, and when I can control my 1911 in recoil as well as I can do it with Glock, there will be no reason to rotate.
    You don't think that splitting your time between the two platforms is slowing you down on attaining that?

But it's mostly about priorities, I suppose. I'm interested primarily in pushing myself to be as good as I can with one platform, personally. There are a few specifics where I still shoot better with my P226, for example, but I perform better overall with my carry USPc since that's the gun I focus the majority of my range trips on.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    You don't think that splitting your time between the two platforms is slowing you down on attaining that?
    Nope, I don't think so. If I am not shooting Glock, I am not exposed to what it takes to press its trigger well. If I am not shooting 45, I am not challenged with recoil management, flip control and wider sight arc to track. An attempt to combine the two ("Glock" and "45") results in either a gun that I can't shoot well at all (G30) or carry concealed (G21).
    I truly think that shooting different platforms, if done smartly, is complementary and not inhibitory to one's skill progression.

Guys, I really have to say...thanks for all your comments.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna get thrown under the bus for all these critical questions, but I think the responses have been great and it is really challenging my perceptions, which is a good thing.

And really, it makes me wonder if I should just sell off all my 'rotation' pistols and just get an HK

Never shot one before, but hanging out here is making it hard not to want to!
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Learning has occurred!

Training with and carrying the same gun gives you a certain confidence you would not have when switching platforms. You will know that you can make that shot, know your point of aim/point of impact (POA, POI) for differing distances, and know that trigger inside and out.

Yeah, buy an HK, take some classes

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Learning has occurred!

Training with and carrying the same gun gives you a certain confidence you would not have when switching platforms. You will know that you can make that shot, know your point of aim/point of impact (POA, POI) for differing distances, and know that trigger inside and out.

Yeah, buy an GLOCK, take some classes
    Fixed!
    Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    Fixed!
    Nah, he had it right the first time. Get an HK.

lol

I'm gonna try to get to a shop and put some of these in my hand.
    the Glocks have that hump in the grip which doesn't quite fit me, but there is always a grip reduction.
    I have been very impressed with how quickly follow up shots can be made.

HKs...I just don't know much about them, except that ToddG has shot them a LOT

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Nah, he had it right the first time. Get an HK.
    Either or. Any proven platform that doesn't hinder your learning.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There are definitely people who can pick up any pistol and run it very well, but in my experience while 50% of the shooters out there think that applies to them, the number who can actually pull it off is closer to 0.5%.
    I definitely belong to that 99.5%. Shot five rounds from a SIG 226 .40 S&W few days ago. Only the first double action shot was dead on and the slide didn't lock back after last round due to a high weak hand grip. It's weird as I usually don't shoot guns with long heavy double action pull. Maybe that's because I practiced dry fire on the notorious HK double action pull once or twice but that still doesn't explain why my much more practiced single action dry fire didn't help.

Todd already proved that he can't make the HK45 fail in 50K rounds. Why would I want to carry a gun other than the HK45 I already have and very familiar with? Well, on another thought, maybe a P30

Quote Originally Posted by x-man View Post
    Todd already proved that he can't make the HK45 fail in 50K rounds.
    *barring creative assembly.

User Tag List