Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The philosophy behind carry rotation or no rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    No rotation here. I stick with the same gun for consistency. As Todd mentioned above, people spend way too much time and money on the next best thing (ie. guns and gear) and less on mastering what they have. I'd rather have one gun and spend the rest on training and ammo.

What are your thoughts on rotating with the same platform (ie. Glock)? I hear the argument that a glock is a glock but to me each model has enough differences (grip size, sight radius, caliber, etc.) that I think it is enough to affect the consistency.
    Great post. I was one that fell into the category of "always searching" for a long time. I have now pretty much settled in with regard to holster styles and stick with only the GLOCK platform for carry guns. I still have other firearms but the bulk of my practice and all of my training, matches, and carry is done with a GLOCK.

I have my GLOCK all set up pretty much the say way with respect to controls, sights, connectors, spring, etc. Yes, the grips are somewhat different between models/mods and the triggers do have slightly different feels based on the amount of use. However, I feel I'm pretty consistent with a G26/G19/G17/G34.

Am I fooling myself? What say the SMEs?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    What about rotating from say a 19 to a 26 or 17? Do you guys consider this equally bad?
    There's nothing wrong with carrying a different gun if you need more concealability. If you must do that, it's best to keep it within a certain family. Someone who normally carries a G17 would be well served by a G26 if they need the smallest possible pistol because the trigger is the same, the sights can be the same, and all the important controls will be in the same place since a G26 is basically just a G17 that's been chopped in two places.

We are diminished
    Just be aware that the reload practice you perform diligently with your 17/34 might lead to a nasty blood blister on a G19 or 26.

YMMV, of course, but for me personally there is little a G17 does for me that a G19 doesn't, and very few circumstances in which I could conceal a G26 but not a G19...

Hrm, as usual, there is a LOT of food for thought here -

I have an FNP-9 that was my first gun. It shoots EVERYTHING 9mm that comes near it. Hasn't failed on anything, aluminum or steel case, jacketed hollow point or round nose, it doesn't care. But it is big, and maybe I haven't had the right holster for it. I do have an RCS holster on its way, and keep bugging Ameriglo for a yellow/green night sight for it. But 99.99% of the time it is in a mini gunvault with a TLR-2 on it, waiting for something to go bump in the night.

My carry weapon normally is my PPS. It is slim, easy to carry plus an extra magazine. But it is finnicky about what ammo it will shoot. It has been to S&W for a fluff and mainspring replacement, but it is still picky about what ammo it will shoot well. I'm hoping the RA9T I just got runs through the gun, as the 124 gr DPX did NOT feed well at all. I've fallen back on the 95gb DPX which did feed fine for 100 rounds.

But from what I am reading here, even tho I keep both guns at 8:30 (I'm a lefty) and neither has an external safety, that I should really be shelving one gun long term and focus on the other one. That my range time split between the two is slowing my ability to "advance" in my learning. And I will agree the triggers aren't the same (DA/SA vs DAO/striker), the magazine release is in a different spot.

I guess once the RCS holster arrives, the FNP-9 will be my primary carry, and the PPS will go on a shelf until I am truly proficient with the FNP.

I only own one handgun, and it's the one I've spent the vast majority of my range time over the entire course of my shooting life (I am 24 now, and have been shooting under the tutelage of my grandfather since middle school), an HK P7M8, and I don't anticipate replacing it for carry (or even for most of my range time) until it falls apart.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

I rotate between a glock 23 and 27 seasonally, the 27 conceals better in summer months with less layers.

I don't get to shoot or train nearly as much as I use to or like, so I standardized on the M&P platform for carry, recreation and training.

Comparing to most posters in this thread, I do rotate. The "rotation" is between two handgun platforms primarily; there is a third one which has a small niche, and probably will go away at some point. The plan for any subsequent acquisitions is that they have to displace one of existing ones, or else they won't be kept.
    My rotation cycle is about 6 months. I usually have one or two transition sessions when I bring both pistols to the range before switching. Reason for "rotation": I practice with my CCW, different platforms provide different challenges for me, and I think such exposure to various challenges makes me a better shooter on a long run. There is a bit more to it, but that's the biggest reason.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My rotation cycle is about 6 months.
    Is this because of concealability?

The main issue I'd have there is that even if you're switching between "dedicated" platforms for extended periods, you'll still have a transition period where you're not shooting to your full potential in the interim each time. It makes more sense to me to choose a platform you can stick with regardless of the weather, personally.

FWIW, my opinion here is colored by the fact that I daily carry a USP Compact (which is basically dimensionally identical to a G19/G23) year round, including at work where I have to wear business attire -- khakis, tucked in collared shirt, tie -- and hiding the gun really isn't an issue with the right holster.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Is this because of concealability?
    No, just empiric. It takes relatively short time to transition from safety standpoint - say, one-two sessions or 200-300 rounds, and then double that to even out the overall performance. Then few months to continue working on specific challenges presented by a given choice to complete a rotation cycle.

The point of rotation is to keep facing these different challenges, hopefully without jeopardizing my overall performance at any given time. While specific aspects of performance (say, precision distance shooting vs. reload speed) differ between platforms, my aggregate performance is about the same. When I can print the same 25 yard groups from my Glock 19 as from 1911, and when I can control my 1911 in recoil as well as I can do it with Glock, there will be no reason to rotate.
    It only follows the logic that my practice sessions are structured differently with these. I spend a lot more time on precision and trigger control with Glock, and I shoot a lot more Circle drills with 1911.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-28-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo

User Tag List