Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you have to practice in Federal Law enforcement?

Site Supporter

How many times do you have to practice in Federal Law enforcement?

Strange question. Talking to a mom whose child (obviously a grown up) is in Federal law enforcement. Mom says the child has to practice shooting twice a week. We were talking firearms and choices.

That seemed excessive to me. Is this true? I know the child and that person is extremely competent and might do it on their own. But Mom said the child had to. Hun? The child lives far away so I didn't ask said child.

Just curious

Site Supporter
    What agency? My field office we shoot monthly as part of required training. The "had to" may be personal choice and he just tells mom that as justification for the cost.

Site Supporter
    I don't want to be mysterious but it's one of the major ones. Not my place to say too many details. So am I paranoid? I thought it might be voluntary.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I don't want to be mysterious but it's one of the major ones. Not my place to say too many details. So am I paranoid? I thought it might be voluntary.
    The fact the agency exists isn't a secret and the fact is has employees is also not a secret. No need to be secret squirrel. I can't answer your question regardless, but if you really want it answered you'll need to name the agency.

In my little non-fed world I *can* shoot once a week at our facilities with them providing the ammo. I *have* to shoot 3 times a year, sometimes 4, either way adding up to 24 hours (some years we do two half days and two full days, most years we do three full days). People who are not rifle qualified go one less time per year.

What agency?

I HAVE to practice everyday, but my agency doesn't agree:-)

Site Supporter
    Oh, ok - FBI. I guess I was been silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Oh, ok - FBI. I guess I was been silly.
    Unless he's assigned to HRT, no. Even then, scheduling might be more sporadic than that.

I hope HRT shoots at least twice per week. I'm not sure about the field office SWAT teams, but I'd guess not.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Sounds like Fams. Definitely not FBI - they shoot once a quarter for quals. They can have extra courses if their division runs them, not few agents take advantage.

Site Supporter
    FAMs don't shoot weekly. Monthly maybe. Depending on the field office.

User Tag List