Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I should also add that he said it was not in his class but another class held at that facility. Jedi’s assistant instructor went over and helped treat the injured person. His assistant instructor is a guy named Jim Dexter.
    As I recall Jim Dexter was a FF/EMT before getting into LE. He has his own training Co in the Chicagoland area.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As I recall Jim Dexter was a FF/EMT before getting into LE. He has his own training Co in the Chicagoland area.
    Yep. Tactical Sound Training Center. He AI’d a Jedi class I took last year. Good, squared away dude.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    FYI the actual Holster Study and supporting documentation which lead to FLETC's banning SERPA style holsters has been released via FOIA and ca be viewed here:
    Thanks a lot. That explains our local range's notice:

"Due to the heightened risk of negligent discharges from trigger finger actuated retention feature, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center has prohibited these types of holsters. After careful consideration and continued concern for shooter safety we at The Range Austin will no longer permit these types of holsters."

They avoided calling SERPA out explicitly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Thanks a lot. That explains our local range's notice:

"Due to the heightened risk of negligent discharges from trigger finger actuated retention feature, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center has prohibited these types of holsters. After careful consideration and continued concern for shooter safety we at The Range Austin will no longer permit these types of holsters."

The Serpa is not the only holster that uses a trigger finger release. There are several Chinese and is really knock offs of the Serpa including one that was previously sold by SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post

Their lead instructor didn't.

"We have decided to ban the use of Serpa style holsters due the higher chance of negligent discharges during the draw stroke." -Jeff Gonzales

HolisterStudy.pdf -- sounds like a diligently prepared report

My apologies for the thread necro.

What would be the best way to safely demonstrate the inherently unsafe design of the holster (using the finger to actuate the release)?

While the possibility of the holster locking up due to debris in the release and the poor construction of the holster leading to easy separation of the holster from the paddle/belt mount are valid issues, they're not ones that your average Joe Citizen worries over because they don't generally roll around in the dirt or train against gun grabs. Ergo the need to focus on the index finger release (contextualization).
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Use a bluegun or similar mockup/inert gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post

What would be the best way to safely demonstrate the inherently unsafe design of the holster (using the finger to actuate the release)?

While the possibility of the holster locking up due to debris in the release and the poor construction of the holster leading to easy separation of the holster from the paddle/belt mount are valid issues, they're not ones that your average Joe Citizen worries over because they don't generally roll around in the dirt or train against gun grabs. Ergo the need to focus on the index finger release (contextualization).
    Use a SIRT pistol so the students can clearly see the laser hitting the ground (or possibly your leg) after you demonstrate the problem with the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXakcPB0evk

This video is a handy illustration.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List