Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

If you have a slow draw, and never draw under stress I don't see an issue with it. These holsters suck balls and anyone who says any different is weird. That's a fact, not opinion.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    At some point I have to wonder if it's really a design issue or more of an "I'm all high-speed tacticool, watch this" level of complacency that sparks these NDs.
    Granted, that probably factors into at least some of the SERPA-involved self shootings that have occurred. That said, a design which exacerbates human error rather than mitigating it is a bad design.

At some point I have to wonder if it's really a design issue or more of an "I'm all high-speed tacticool, watch this" level of complacency that sparks these NDs.
    Could be, if the camera is rolling for YouTube, people will do any amount of incredibly stupid shit. I'm more concerned, however, with the marginally trained person who's placed under stress - like basic students in an LE academy trying to "make time" on the qualification, or the average gun owner who shoots 20 rounds through a new pistol and calls it good, then has to get his pistol into action in a stressful class or on the street.

Bottom line, I'm really just about done with SERPA, and talking about it. The last person in my squad who had one, I dug up an older, used but serviceable kydex holster from my holster stash, and gave it to her, then said I would NOT allow her to shoot on my range with the SERPA any more. She's welcome to drive to shoot her SERPA with a different instructor, but, life is too short to deal with stupid shit.

For the life of me, I can't understand why ANYONE would even consider a SERPA, but, there are folks spouting off about empty-chamber pocket carry on this forum, so, who knows...

For the amount of SERPA users there are, were this design so dangerous I would think at some point the number of NDs would warrant an unquestionable outright ban of these holsters. I get that these holsters are sub-grade quality, but this whole inherently dangerous dead horse almost has not a carcass left to wail on IMO.
    the Summary of Findings from the URL posted by HCM details out exactly the argument against your statement.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I know a guy who shot himself with one and he was an experienced shooter.
    Next, I saw an officer who was a very experienced shooter try one out as it was issued to him. He struggled with it and had a low opinion.
    I watched a newbie struggle so much that the SO stopped him.
    Recently, the SO took a newbie aside to explain the error under discussion.

I explained the error also in a past post on affordances. I also wonder if the lawsuits against the company and a gun manfacturer who supplies them are waiting to be discover.

I get that experienced people have had NDs with these holsters. But, at what point do we consider complacency developed through prolonged exposure to weapon handling?

As I've mentioned before the two largest local LEAs here use SERPAs, both the level 2 and level 3 versions. Given the one department's high recruiting and turn-over rate, one would think they should've had an ND "caused by the holster" in the years since they switched from Safariland holsters to using Serpas. The only fuck-up I can recall was a recruit somehow shooting another in the head some years back at the department's range.

It's certainly possible they've had issues and they've been swept under the rug, but knowing some of the folks with say-so in utilized equipment if there was such a problem they'd have trash-binned the things most ricky-tick.

I still find it ironic how much the Serpa is trashed for "contributing to NDs" but few squawk about the staggering number of NDs that result from Glock's take-down system or tacti-tards lightening the trigger with ghost connectors and then having an ND due to the lighter trigger pull. Not to mention the irony of folks who advocate AIWB carry decrying something as unsafe.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    You perhaps think statements like this contribute to the discussion. They do not.
    If you're referring to the "tacti-tards" comment, that certainly was not aimed at anyone here. I recognize that many of the individuals participating in these discussions have a greater proficiency and depth of knowledge well beyond my own. I was referring to the average gun tinkerer who watches Yeager/Zero vids, buys a Glock to be an operator, then starts slapping in parts so he can be the cool kid at the local playground.

ToddG even wrote a piece on the folks chasing that light trigger pull, chasing the hardware solution to a software problem.
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/65

As for the AIWB portion, I'm certainly not knocking the practice in itself. But there is a moderate degree of irony in a collective calling out something as unsafe while keeping a loaded gun a few centimeters from their genitals and essentially pointed at themselves during the practice at some point in their day.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    If you're referring to the "tacti-tards" comment, that certainly was not aimed at anyone here. I recognize that many of the individuals participating in these discussions have a greater proficiency and depth of knowledge well beyond my own. I was referring to the average gun tinkerer who watches Yeager/Zero vids, buys a Glock to be an operator, then starts slapping in parts so he can be the cool kid at the local playground.

ToddG even wrote a piece on the folks chasing that light trigger pull, chasing the hardware solution to a software problem.
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/65

As for the AIWB portion, I'm certainly not knocking the practice in itself. But there is a moderate degree of irony in a collective calling out something as unsafe while keeping a loaded gun a few centimeters from their genitals and essentially pointed at themselves during the practice at some point in their day.
    Your changing the subject.

LEAs, particularly smaller one choose gear for all sorts of reasons, two common ones which often lead to bad decisions are 1) cost, and 2) Chief So and So, who thinks he is a gun guy likes it so that's what we bought.

For example Glock likely put as many of their pistols in LE holsters on cost and taking LE executives on paid junkets to Atlanta ( and the Atlanta Gold Club) as did the actual merits and performance of the pistol itself.

The GA Public Safety Training Center also prohibits the use of the SERPA. Like FLETC they got push back from agencies which issue the SERPA asking if the training center was going to buy them new holsters.

The compromise FLETC came up with was to only allow the SERPA if it was the agency issued holster. Of the 80 partner organizations AFAIK, CBP is a he only one still issuing the SERPA. This is not an endorsement. Their firearms people know the SERPA is a POS, but management and the bean counters don't want to buy 40k new holsters. But hey, in the Obama administration hope is plan, right?

Video by a gun store owner who shot himself with the free Serpa-style holster that came with a Canik TP-9 on Sept 10. You don't need a Facebook account to view.

I get that experienced people have had NDs with these holsters. But, at what point do we consider complacency developed through prolonged exposure to weapon handling?

As I've mentioned before the two largest local LEAs here use SERPAs, both the level 2 and level 3 versions. Given the one department's high recruiting and turn-over rate, one would think they should've had an ND "caused by the holster" in the years since they switched from Safariland holsters to using Serpas. The only fuck-up I can recall was a recruit somehow shooting another in the head some years back at the department's range.

It's certainly possible they've had issues and they've been swept under the rug, but knowing some of the folks with say-so in utilized equipment if there was such a problem they'd have trash-binned the things most ricky-tick.

I still find it ironic how much the Serpa is trashed for "contributing to NDs" but few squawk about the staggering number of NDs that result from Glock's take-down system or tacti-tards lightening the trigger with ghost connectors and then having an ND due to the lighter trigger pull. Not to mention the irony of folks who advocate AIWB carry decrying something as unsafe.

I'm sorry to post meaning less shit, and I know this is not the Festivus thread,
    but I have to ask, why do you keep beating this horse?
    Actually I don't care why, just stop. Read, come to your own conclusion and move on.

And my apologies if I come off as a dick, I just want see more SME posts and less, "well I know two guys and this happened to them," posts.

Please try to read, learn, and keep mouth shut.
    Last edited by Alembic; 09-18-2016 at 05:40 PM.

User Tag List