Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Spot on. Why so many Fed LEO's with SERPAs? 1) Most Fed LEO's are not gun people. Most trainees think if they sell it at the FLETC store or "hooah" shop outside the gate it must be good right ? 2) The only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops ......

We wrote a proposal to buy Safariland ALS holsters in 2008 ... and actually started to see them in 2012!
    No, so many fed LEOs with SERPAs for the same reason that most .mil types - including .socom.mil types - are carrying SERPAs - because that's what the supply system gives them. SERPA is standard issue for CBP, IIRC, and, for a lot of "uniformed" LE - you carry what they gives you, or else.

The SERPA is banned on FLETC ranges. CBP is grudgingly excepted, because they said, "Fine, YOU pay to replace all our holsters." CBP has their own firearm instructor cadre at Artesia, anyway, so......

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    CBP has their own firearm instructor cadre at Artesia, anyway, so......
    Who I relentlessly badger about how big a POS the SERPA is every time I see them (which is at least monthly).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Who I relentlessly badger about how big a POS the SERPA is every time I see them (which is at least monthly).
    Things that make me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Things that make me smile.
    You should hear me when one of them has a lockup or has to double pump the draw in a 3 - gun match.
    The Gunny would be proud.

Good news is I've converted several over to Safariland.
    Now if I could just do a ECQC style dirt rolling evo with a few of them...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Baby, steps, man. Good on ya!

SERPA banned by Dallas PD.

The article makes it sound like a proactive decision based on range officer research instead of in response to an injury or other bad experience, prompted by officers showing up to the range with SERPAs.

Good call by DPD.

Xenia OH PD has banned the serpa starting at the beginning of 2015. No injuries related to the ban. Was proactive.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    No, so many fed LEOs with SERPAs for the same reason that most .mil types - including .socom.mil types - are carrying SERPAs - because that's what the supply system gives them. SERPA is standard issue for CBP, IIRC, and, for a lot of "uniformed" LE - you carry what they gives you, or else.
    Its not part of our supply system but we have numerous agents carrying SERPAS for the reasons I listed.

One of our local second line managers took it on himself to buy every agent a SERPA with end of year money from the local budget a few years ago. This from a guy who needs remedial training just to qualify every quarter........ They're the epitome of Derp.ugh!

CBP has an approved holster list and any CBPO or BPA can carry a safari land or other approved holster.

If I recall correctly, when CBP first came out with their approved holster list the SERPA was not on the list. It was added due to the clamor of the great unwashed masses.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-02-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Lobby DHS's NFTTU at Altoona PA to get the damn thing banned for CBP as well
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

User Tag List