Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    With the USMC - ADS bid both Safariland and the SERPA, the SERPA was the low bid as I understand.
    The fact the USMC and now the Army wrote a requirement that allows such a MISERABLE PIECE OF CRAP to me is worth a GAO Audit...
    I wonder why the design issue hasn't been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post

Because people who know it's a POS aren't in the buying stuff system I would guess.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Because it's easier to deny a problem exists than worry about whether someone might die as a result of it and actually have to fix it.

That POS SERPA is approved for USBP use as well.
    I've seen several of them lock down at our 3-gun matches.
    So far the guys running them (mostly FLETC instructors) have abandoned them for Safarilands so maybe there'll be some "monkey see, monkey do" coming out of FLETC in the future and fewer SERPAS on duty with USBP in the desert southwest.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have signed for a kitten ton of these Serpas, some of them broken. I don't trust them, both for their materials and their design.

Full disclosure, I actually bought one with my own money a few years back, even after I knew they were crap. It was only for an OWB two-gun match holster for my 1911. I think I used it two or three times until I was able to find a Safariland ALS to replace it. But I never accepted one for my M9 or Glock usage downrange.

It makes complete sense why the Army accepts these for issue, even among SOF units. The people who make the purchasing decisions don't exactly research these products; but worse, I've even met quite a few experienced folks who still think this is an acceptable holster, my former team sergeant for one. Hard to tell guys like that they're wrong when he's got more time deployed than you. I try to cite the sources I know, and hopefully I've changed a few minds. The sad thing is that sometimes the Serpa looks like the best option compared to the other crap holsters the unit has purchased. Some folks don't like to buy their own gear.

I was happy to donate a Safariland 6004 holster to a guy as I left theater the last time, just so he didn't have to use a Serpa.
    Last edited by ToddG; 01-04-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: profanity

Quote Originally Posted by McNamara View Post
    Some folks don't like to buy their own gear.
    Very valid point!
    I am a horrible example of this as I was so far from the "tip of the spear" as to be in another time zone, but I bought a sling for my M4 that was more comfortable when I lugged it around everywhere on the big base. I've recently joined LF and am amazed at the kit that those guys buy for themselves.
    I was happy to see G-code on that announcement but seeing the SERPA was saddening.

Took the first 8 hours of IL CCW training yesterday. Instructor is retired from the local bigger-town PD tactical team, long experience, remembers starting out on patrol with .38 revolvers in floppy holsters with straps that wouldn't retain the gun if you ran.
    He used a Serpa for the entire class with Blackhawk orange guns, but mentioned that he thought it might be a Ky-Tac for some reason. I probably should have asked him his thoughts on it, but I didn't.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    He used a Serpa for the entire class with Blackhawk orange guns, but mentioned that he thought it might be a Ky-Tac for some reason.
    Just for clarification: your instructor thought his SERPA was a Ky-Tac?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Took the first 8 hours of IL CCW training yesterday.
    Congratulations! As far as the instructor not knowing his brand of holster, holy crap, is Illinois really that hard pressed for competent instructors?

Wouldnt the video of a SERPA user (Tex Grebner) shooting himself on camera lay the argument to rest?

(Full Disclosure:I had a SERPA back when I was starting out with concealed carry.Since I was kitting up in response to a threat risk brought on by my poor choice in women ,I bought the gear without actually researching the matter.After twenty minutes dry practicing draws with my SR9 and firing the striker on half of them, the holster went on the shelf.)

User Tag List