Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people will criticize the M4 and M9 one minute and then "brag" about the SERPA being .mil issue the next. Is the .mil the gold standard of product selection or not?
    Forgot to say: Watch the movie "The Pentagon Wars." It's not a parody: it really is that messed up.

Paper cuts thousands of papercuts. Shame the poor light col. took it up the butt.
    I have one but never use it. I had a case where it wouldn't draw, never found out why. That was the last time i used it.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Do your routine...
    That's not MY routine....

That's AMERICA'S routine. *flag*

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec View Post
    I had a case where it wouldn't draw, never found out why.
    $5 gets you $10 that there was a hunk of something, or a build up of somethings under the retention release; enough LINT will do it, snow, silty-sticky Euphrates River mud.... Seen it happen more than once, including one time in particular...

I had a single thin sliver of gravel, about half the size of my pinky-fingernail, hang up the release on mine in 2006. Discovered it was at the worst possible moment; carbine went TU, I needed that pistol NOW, but it was all Excalibur-in-the-stone. Thankfully, I had a fire team for an entourage....

Remember, the U.S. Army was reluctant to adopt repeating rifles...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Forgot to say: Watch the movie "The Pentagon Wars." It's not a parody: it really is that messed up.
    Yup.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Remember, the U.S. Army was reluctant to adopt repeating rifles...
    Almost ALL armies were reluctant to adopt repeating firearms.
    Once adopted, they pretty much all had magazine cutoffs for the first two or three generations.
    The French had what was effectively a machine gun, but it was so highly classified there was ONE NCO in the entire country qualified to train anyone, and the Prussians had kicked their butts before he could even teach anyone to spell "mitrailleuse." *
    Not to beat the French up too obsessively, did their version of the Chauchat work any better than ours, and why did the US military insist on buying the smurfed up piece of kitten?
    And let us not forget that the USMC insisted on saddling it's men with the Reising submachine gun.
    Once semi-autos were in place, they refused to consider full-auto capability, or implemented it in platforms that were unsuited to it. (Were the Brits right or wrong to make the SLR semi-only?)
    Anyway, buying sub-optimal weapons and other equipment is hardly the sole province of the US Army, especially in a representative democracy...

*After pausing to admire myself for spelling "mitrailleuse" correctly without looking it up first--no clue how I managed it--I will inject that I read that bit about "one NCO in the country" years ago, have no idea where, and no idea how accurate it is.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    $5 gets you $10 that there was a hunk of something, or a build up of somethings under the retention release; enough LINT will do it, snow, silty-sticky Euphrates River mud.... Seen it happen more than once, including one time in particular...

I had a single thin sliver of gravel, about half the size of my pinky-fingernail, hang up the release on mine in 2006. Discovered it was at the worst possible moment; carbine went TU, I needed that pistol NOW, but it was all Excalibur-in-the-stone. Thankfully, I had a fire team for an entourage....

And hence one big reason why I would never carry one again myself. I saw one so jammed up we had to use EMP shears and a big knife to cut it off of the gun, could have used a set of tin snips right about then.

There are other glaring problems outside of the trigger finger issue, but easily jammed holster being pimped for hard use in austere environments is a biggy.

Hokay.
    I just read 16 pages of this thread in two sittings, and I think I get it. Serpa bad. Not wear Serpa. You have reached me.

The weird thing is that I don't really have much use for a retention holster; I just about never open carry, maybe once every couple of years or so in other states. All my recent training has been with tuckable IWB hybrids anyway. I've used two Serpas as range holsters since that Blackwater/Blackhawk/Para Ord thing Tamara mentioned, mostly because that's what I had on hand. I liked the idea of added security at the time (I had only carried a pistol in a holster once before I went on that Blackwater junket, and done one USPSA stage the week before. I was a little bit new) but I likely won't replace the Serpas with anything but simple paddle holsters using tension for retension.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

With the USMC - ADS bid both Safariland and the SERPA, the SERPA was the low bid as I understand.
    The fact the USMC and now the Army wrote a requirement that allows such a MISERABLE PIECE OF CRAP to me is worth a GAO Audit...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

User Tag List