Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    On Dec. 18, the Army awarded a $49 million contract to Military Hardware, LLC for G-Code holsters and $24.3 million contract to ADS Inc. for Serpa holsters.
    The SERPA line has seen mixed reviews over the years. The Marine Corps held a similar effort two years ago and adopted the Blackhawk SERPA.
    FML.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    FML.
    Wonder how long until SERPA leg makes the weekend safety brief...
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Wonder how long until SERPA leg makes the weekend safety brief...
    I recently took off on some OC silliness and the "SERPAs are military issue" thing was already cited......Again, FML.
    #RESIST

I'm at the point now that I just nod, smile and try to be where the ND won't hit me.
    I'm done trying to educate the masses, the masses are willfully stupid and life's too short for me to stress over them.
    I'll help someone who comes to me with an open mind, but I'm done with the Serpa/Taurus crowd.

Can you tell dealing with the new crop of club club applicants is getting to me?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We are diminished
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people will criticize the M4 and M9 one minute and then "brag" about the SERPA being .mil issue the next. Is the .mil the gold standard of product selection or not?

As far as "military issue" goes, talk to one survivor of the original MOLLE issue.......
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Is the .mil the gold standard of product selection or not?
    It is...right up to the point that you have a chance to see/conduct a source-selection, and see some of the awesomeness the military passes up in lieu of a steaming bucket of yuck because some aspect of the procurement was poorly pencil-whipped. If the wrong empire-builder/quota-baby is in the wrong spot, stuff like SERPA procurement happens.

Just as a for-example, look at something as simple as the Army's issue fleece beanie vs. the Corps' fleece beanie.

The former is grossly oversized, floppy, badly stitched, might as well be made of macreme for all the wind it keeps out,....and GREY; bad procurement. People or persons at PEO Soldier whose billet description included "giving no f**ks."

The latter is made to properly fit under a helmet without getting wadded up and creating hotspots, is well-made, decent at blocking wind when worn as a stand-alone....and NOT FREAKIN GREY; good procurement. PM ICE has (or had at the time) a lot of former trigger-pullers working for them.

To wit: A lot of what the military buys both is and is not crap. It's possible for both conditions to exist at the same time, strictly on the basis of how different people being in charge of similar efforts can dramaticaly alter the comparative results.

.....he said, preaching to the choir.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    It is...right up to the point that you have a chance to see/conduct a source-selection, and see some of the awesomeness the military passes up in lieu of a steaming bucket of yuck because some aspect of the procurement was poorly pencil-whipped. If the wrong empire-builder/quota-baby is in the wrong spot, stuff like SERPA procurement happens.

Just as a for-example, look at something as simple as the Army's issue fleece beanie vs. the Corps' fleece beanie.

The former is grossly oversized, floppy, badly stitched, might as well be made of macreme for all the wind it keeps out,....and GREY; bad procurement. People or persons at PEO Soldier whose billet description included "giving no f**ks."

The latter is made to properly fit under a helmet without getting wadded up and creating hotspots, is well-made, decent at blocking wind when worn as a stand-alone....and NOT FREAKIN GREY; good procurement. PM ICE has (or had at the time) a lot of former trigger-pullers working for them.

To wit: A lot of what the military buys both is and is not crap. It's possible for both conditions to exist at the same time, strictly on the basis of how different people being in charge of similar efforts can dramaticaly alter the comparative results.

.....he said, preaching to the choir.
    Ooh, ooh! Do your routine about MARPAT versus "Universal" camouflage! Or maybe the one about the LAV/Bradley/Stryker story. Barrels of laughs!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ooh, ooh! Do your routine about MARPAT versus "Universal" camouflage! Or maybe the one about the LAV/Bradley/Stryker story. Barrels of laughs!
    *ding* And the popcorn is now out of the microwave, and lightly salted.

Proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Is the .mil the gold standard of product selection or not?
    Is UCP the gold standard of camo?

User Tag List