Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    Microphone cord fail. That's right up there with "I ambushed you with a cup of coffee."
    The TSA agent must've been reading your mind.

I think I'll deny her entry into the Order of Defensive Coffee Throwers (ODCT).

I received an e-mail today that my agency, the National Park Service, is officially banning the Serpa as an approved holster. The e-mail cites the holster's design vulnerability to sever weather conditions - I'm thinking jamming in the snow.

We are diminished
    Good for NPS!

Site Supporter
    As Charleton Heston said in Planet of the Apes - "We finally really did it !"

Received this back on 04/18/12 -

"Effective immediately, The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) has banned the use of ALL Index Finger Activated Holsters. This applies to staff and students alike. With that, all Academy Staff MUST cease utilizing this holster type on all FLETC ranges. Additionally, all instructors are to ensure that no students utilize this type of holster during any training conducted at FLETC.

THIS INCLUDES ALL STAFF QUALIFICATIONS BEGINNING TODAY"

Oh, hey, look here...

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=413291

New details emerged Tuesday about the accidental shooting of a Berks County deputy sheriff on the 17th floor of the Berks County Courthouse a day earlier.

Deputy John Parsons was shot in the leg with his own service pistol Monday morning in an incident involving another deputy, whose name has not been released.

Sheriff Eric J. Weaknecht said Tuesday that the accident occurred after Parsons and the second deputy - like Parsons a firearms instructor and member of the fugitive task force - received an alert from the U.S. Marshal Service about the holsters used by members of the task force.

According to the alert, the Blackhawk LV3 tactical holster has a possible defect that can cause a pistol to discharge.

Following the department's 9:30 a.m. roll call, the sheriff said, Parsons and the other deputy decided to test the holsters.

They unloaded their pistols but were unable to duplicate the accidental trigger pull.

Preparing to go to work, Parsons reloaded his pistol but the second deputy did not realize that, Weaknecht said.

"Within a few minutes," the sheriff said, "the other deputy said he figured it out and reached for Parson's gun and it went off.

"It was one of those things that happened so quickly that it was just an accident."

After the shooting, Deputy Michael Moorman rushed in to dress the wound and control the bleeding, Weaknecht said.

Despite his injury, Parsons was able to assist.

"They both stayed calm and composed and they did a great job with that," Weaknecht said.

Parsons was rushed into surgery in Reading Hospital.

His wife was notified and was by his side throughout the treatment.

Parsons remained in Reading Hospital on Tuesday night but was expected to be released today, Weaknecht said, adding that he visited Parsons in the hospital Monday evening and found him in very good spirits.

While Weaknecht declined to identify the other deputy involved, he said he faces possible disciplinary action and had been placed on desk duty until the department's firearms review board holds a hearing on the shooting.

That should happen in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, the deputy was having a difficult time dealing with the accident, Weaknecht said.

Weaknecht said both deputies were offered counseling and assistance from the union trauma support team.

City police were called in to investigate the shooting and determined that it was an accident, according to Chief William M. Heim.

The holsters are no longer being used and deputies have been briefed on what happened, Weaknecht said.

Contact Jason A. Kahl: 610-371-5024 or jkahl@readingeagle.com.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We will not be allowing them at HiTS unless the student is issued or mandated to carry them. Even the rookie new guys get it...
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Advantage group/unity tactical isn't allowing them at all.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/s...-26-Robert-LA)

Site Supporter

Another SERPA "incident"

I'm on the IALEFI email list and received the same article posted above:
    http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=413291

There's enough NDs going on around the world and anything that gets this much attention needs to discontinued.

Besides people shooting themselves there's the issue of the pistol getting stuck inside the holster. I had a soldier go prone and when he got up he could NOT get his pistol out because a small stone got stuck behind the retention button.

Army Adopts G-Code, SERPA Models as New Holsters Read more: http://kitup.military.co

On Dec. 18, the Army awarded a $49 million contract to Military Hardware, LLC for G-Code holsters and $24.3 million contract to ADS Inc. for Serpa holsters.
    The SERPA line has seen mixed reviews over the years. The Marine Corps held a similar effort two years ago and adopted the Blackhawk SERPA.

User Tag List