Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the SERPA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    HCM posted while I was still slow typing!

It took me a long time to build the courage to AIWB carry. As stated in my previous post, I will only do so with a proper holster and with a pistol that I can monitor striker/hammer movement when re-holstering. Going from behind-the-hip carry to AIWB is a journey worth taking, but IMO only for those willing to learn and make the commitment to do so safely.
    I did it long ago with 3rd gen TDA S&W pistols. Then....Glock. No hammer to ride with my thumb. Switched to 3:00 carry. I tried the P30 LEMs but, I had to live and work in a Glock world. Ended up deciding on Beretta for TDA guns (Better availability of stuff, thanks to EL!) and have equipped all of my Glocks with Gadgets. So AIWB is a thing for me again. IMHO, the lessons of tilting the body in a way that prevents covering oneself while re-holstering, looking the gun into the holster, removing dangly things that foul your holster from your gear, and re-holstering slowly are universal best practices. The TDA/striker movement indicator equipped guns and quality holsters add a layer of safety to any position/mode of carry.

Quote Originally Posted by NextGhost View Post
    Banned by the USAF for SF and AFOSI
    DoD bought SERPAs by the tens of thousands. I used one in CATM (pistol Q course) last month.

Until an airman's death can be directly attributed to the SERPA, they'll keep issuing them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    question: how many people have shot themselves carrying AIWB? would like some numbers to go with that venn diagram.
    While I do not know the specific numbers, it is enough so that AIWB is banned from classes taught by at least some well-regarded instructors.

I have been very happy with IWB at 3:30 and that is not changing any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    While I do not know the specific numbers, it is enough so that AIWB is banned from classes taught by at least some well-regarded instructors.
    Is that due to actual reports of ND's or knee jerk reactions?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Most likely many people who are just jumping into AIWB because it’s trendy and literally “doing it wrong.”

Site Supporter

I have been very happy with IWB at 3:30 and that is not changing any time soon.

There is nothing wrong with AIWB done right. Two biggest issues I see are:

1) People who AIWB improperly in terms of technique, mindfulness and crappy holster selection

2) People who are too fat / have too much gut pushing the grip out and resulting in the muzzle pointing back into their body.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Third option: Not worth the liability.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Third option: Not worth the liability.
    That's the more honest one. Not nearly as cool for someone to say though so instead we get the bullshit response.

Site Supporter
    If I recall Larry Vickers’ post on M4Carbine correctly, he did not want to join the growing list of instructors who had a student shoot themselves while reholstering AIWB.

I do not fault that decision one bit.

I have personally discouraged people from using Serpa holsters, but playing devil’s advocate, the same argument that is made for AIWB could be made for the Serpa: those who had an accident were not doing it properly.

Just like the discussion of the 4 rules of gun safety, our procedures should not require absolute perfection in order to avoid injury. Instead, they should provide more than one layer of protection against injury.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If I recall Larry Vickers’ post on M4Carbine correctly, he did not want to join the growing list of instructors who had a student shoot themselves while reholstering AIWB.
    Do we have a list of folks who've had ND's in classes?

User Tag List