Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old West SAA: Finger Off Trigger in Old Days ?

Old West SAA: Finger Off Trigger in Old Days ?

This is an odd ball question, but I thought someone might know the answer.

We all know that keeping your finger off the trigger till youre about to squeeze it is a safety rule with modern guns. And you see everyone practicing this discipline even at cowboy action meets. But, when the SAA was the king, did people during the Old West rest their finger on the trigger ?

I have never been able to find a historical answer to this question. Thanks.

Complete assumption on my part, but the 4 rules and the high degree of safety consciousness with firearms is a pretty dang recent development.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just up to the individual and possibly his intent. I don't believe there were any universal standards whatsoever.

It'll be interesting if someone has some accurate input though
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I vaguely recall it mentioned that some people had interviewed old gunfighters about their techniques. Perhaps this was in the 1920s or 30s ? I don't recall.

But I can't imagine why they would employ the modern convention with a single action revolver.

"Gunfighters" would cut the trigger guard off their pistols up into the late '70's.... I doubt a hard register on a SAA was common.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Not in any of the Westerns I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    "Gunfighters" would cut the trigger guard off their pistols up into the late '70's.... I doubt a hard register on a SAA was common.
    Good point !

IIRC the interviews were with old lawmen from the era - past TX and/or AZ Rangers. Maybe someone will comment on that.

@Gary1911A1 - funny you should mention Hollywood Westerns. A couple of fellows from Stanford did a study of the Old West and it was far different than depicted in the movies - actually much safer than a modern city such as Chicago or Detroit.

http://www.amazon.com/Not-So-Wild-We...wild+wild+west

I dont believe it was common. Its not mentioned in any writings I've seen, and not in any art. As late as the 60's-70's, it wasnt unusual for people to have their picture taken with finger on the trigger, even top flight target shooters, LEO's and old Col Cooper.

One thing about an SA revovler, it isnt going to fire until its cocked, no matter how hard the trigger is pulled. Not justification in todays mindset, just saying, if the gun wasnt cocked, no amount of sloppy trigger finger discipline would end up in a shot fired.

People got accidentally shot rather more often back then.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have read that accidental shootings were common in the westward migration.

As far as revolvers go I've never seen anything indicating anyone kept their finger off the trigger. Of course with single action revolvers they are safe until you cock the hammer. Percussion revolvers had pins or notches between the chambers for the hammer to rest on or in, making them safe to load with six rounds. With the advent of cartridge revolvers, loading 5 of 6 became the norm for safety.

I believe that cutting trigger guards was mostly a 20th century thing. Colt Fitz Specials had cut trigger guards, and Manuel Gonzaullas had a pair of 1911s with the trigger guards cut off.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Having grown up around old SAA shooters, I'm reasonably certain that the best made due with rules 1 and 4.

Between the fact that decocking is difficult without fondling the bang switch on one hand, and stuff like the road agent's spin on the other, I'm pretty sure that 2 and 3 were just gleams in a yet-to-be born Colonel's eye (along with high hand and crush grip).

Chambering an SA wheelie with a 9mm convertible cylinder does not a G17 make. Design drives technique, from rapiers to rifles.

User Tag List