Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Grip strength, how much is enough?

While it's true that a smaller grip can definitely help in having a solid strong and consistent grip on a pistol, it's only true up to a point and it will vary with individuals. In my case, the gen4 G19 with no added backstrap is too small; my fingers get bunched together in a manner that makes it hard to 1) keep my trigger finger independent and 2) actually have full contact over as much of the gun as I would like; of course, I'm also comfortable shooting a gen2 G21.

The size of the palm, the length of the fingers (which all vary with individuals) affect how much strength one can apply and where on the grip it can be applied. As a default to someone who is having trouble controlling the gun, going smaller is good but we must keep in mind that it may not turn out to be the right solution and be ready to try something else.

My grip is kindof crap. I can close a #1 for reps, but the 1.5 only a few times.

I do notice when I am working out with them, every single one of my lifts in the gym increases.

Site Supporter
    While I am a huge fan of grip training, I also believe you need to work your wrists and forearms in a wide variety of directions and methods to truly maximize your grip and control over the pistol.

I also incorporate rope pull ups, weighted sled pulls with a fast rope, hangs, and wrist curls in both directions to name a few excercises. Many of these are done on days I am not specifically training forearms. Kettlebell swings can also work grip as well. On grip/forearms specific days I will also incorporate pinch and hub holds, rope curls, etc.. I will also train a couple times a week with a Heavy Hammer working my wrists/forearms/grip through various rotational and front to back excercises. The end result is my grip is developed through a wide variety of angles, as are my wrists and forearms, all of which help me manage recoil better.

I used to do a lot of thick bar training, static holds, and suitcase deadlifts as well but injuries and surgeries pretty much preclude that for me any more.

I also have found for me that forearms and calves seem to recover quicker and can be trained slightly more often than other muscle groups.

User Tag List