Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip strength, how much is enough?

Grip strength, how much is enough?

There's a lot of discussion out there on the net about increasing grip strength to increase your recoil control.

I did a little test today to see where I'm at. I can close a COC #2 with my right hand. With my left, it's really really close, but not quite all the way.

I'd like to think that this is enough strength that working out with COC's to try to increase it would be time better spent elsewhere. On top of that, I'd be at a real danger of overworking my forearms muscles between shooting, dry fire, COC use (if I really got into it) and my day job (which is a 40 hour gig consisting of lots of pulling on wrenches, ratchet handles and twisting screwdrivers and allen wrenches).

Any feedback appreciated.

I think it's really easy to hurt yourself with the Captains. I don't know how many times I have read about it. I hurt myself with them right before AFHF a few years ago, and have never gotten back into them in earnest. That's partly because I have had tennis elbows, and working grip strength hard with the Captains aggravates it. My hands, wrists, and arms feel pretty worn just from the dry and live fire that I do. So what I do now is just that frequent dry and live fire practice, taking care to grip the gun with most of the strength I have, and I use the green Thera Band Flex Bar that I hear is for kids and geriatrics and it feels like a balanced amount of work that keeps me from getting stiff and frozen up through disuse, but not overworking things any more than they already are.

All that said, I don't think I'm real great in the recoil control department, and I'm sure I have nowhere near the grip strength of the renowned champions out there. Maybe there are big benefits unrealized by me. But the comments that I've heard coming from some of those top people, that very fast splits (less than .20) aren't much of a part of their championship-level match performance make me feel pretty comfortable with what I'm doing.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Grip strength is a big deal. But if you ain't got it . . . I simply don't know what the upside is.

I cannot quite close a #1 right now. But I shoot pretty good. I really struggle with long strings like in the Bill Drill. I'm old. I'm ok with it. I'll keep working a little bit with the #1 I have but I'm not going to re-flame up my elbow over it. I can do some good work with .25 splits and pretty good accuracy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A strong grip has benefits way beyond splits, especially for the defensive minded. I would consider closing a #2 to be the minimum strength I would want for life's tasks, but I say that as an under 50 male with no real injuries. Closing a #3 would make me personally happier. I would not fault someone for feeling that more than a #2 might be less useful than other things they need to do.

Funny thing is I can static grip a long long time under load. But max generation of pressure? Not so much.

Regarding SLG's comment of benefits beyond splits; my elder son with forearms like Popeye is training with #3s. With minimal recent shooting volume he can step up to the 50 yard line with a Gen 4 G19 and crush what I can do with a 6" Model 28 shooting SA. I think grip strength provides tremendous leverage for a great trigger press. Not only splits as SLG said.

Opening jars though I've faired pretty well so ???
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I will say that I think grip strength plays a big role. I am right handed. Back in 2004 I had injury that left me with only 40% of the grip strength in my right side that I could produce with my non-dominant left side. Last year I had another injury this time to the left side and I am still recovering from surgery. I have quite a bit of weakness and am not sure how much may be permanent. I definitely cannot manage recoil in the same manner as I used to, but make up for it by being much better in my skill sets, if that makes sense.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, Mr. White hits the nail right on the head. Injury to those tiny, numerous forearm muscles is very easy to do if you don't know the agonists, antagonists, origins and insertions of the muscles. If you do, you can develop a solid plan...if not, I recommend a trainer with a solid certification and a strong kinesiology background.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Funny thing is I can static grip a long long time under load. But max generation of pressure? Not so much.

Regarding SLG's comment of benefits beyond splits; my elder son with forearms like Popeye is training with #3s. With minimal recent shooting volume he can step up to the 50 yard line with a Gen 4 G19 and crush what I can do with a 6" Model 28 shooting SA. I think grip strength provides tremendous leverage for a great trigger press. Not only splits as SLG said.

Opening jars though I've faired pretty well so ???
    I think we were typing at the same time, and none of my comments were in response to yours.

Funny you mention gripping under a static load. There are definitely different types of strength, and we all have attributes that favor one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I think we were typing at the same time, and none of my comments were in response to yours.

Funny you mention gripping under a static load. There are definitely different types of strength, and we all have attributes that favor one or the other.
    Ha! I know you were questioning my masculinity and ability to complete basic man tasks. LOL

Dude! I thought for years I had a bad ass grip because my skinny self could chin 8 reps with a third of my bodyweight strapped to my waist. Then I got onto this CoC stuff and found out I had static but not grip per se.

Just as an aside, BJJ and rock climbing both develop some impressive grip strength, but probably more on the endurance side. They both would also pay dividends for mindset, grace under pressure, etc.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List