Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happens when you press a gun into an attacker's body?

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    But it does lead to my favorite crime scene game. Name that Chunk. Oooh, I that one's an eye.
    Want even worse?

Blood spatter and other evidence at our scene showed that dude's body walked about seven yards and fell over after the shot was triggered, with nothing left of his head above the ear level. True story.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Not to divert but I read that in Afghanistan way back when, it was a game to chase a prisoner across a field with a red hot sword to severe his head. Then they would watch the body walk for a bit and take bets. Or to be gruesome, heard this doing my post-doc in SUNYAB med school. Guy takes date on a roller coaster. He stands up on the top to impress her. His head is caught by a wire and it flips his head off. His body sits down next to the date spurting blood. She was rather nuts as she had to go through the entire ride with him headless. I suppose his head didn't enjoy the 17 seconds of consciousness bouncing down the tracks.

Blood spurted up about 11 ft, it was thought. There were some measurements of such at the Battle of Jutland where a sailor had his head taken off cleanly but a German 11 inch shell and they found the highest drops at 11 ft on the bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I suppose his head didn't enjoy the 17 seconds of consciousness bouncing down the tracks.
    I suppose the folks seated behind him weren't too thrilled, either.

I love these Darwin-at-work stories…

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    The common self defense calibers are all relatively close to the .38 spl in terms of gas pressure and volume.
    I don't think that's true. The numbers below are stolen from wiki but jive with what (little) I know/recall from lots of reloading articles. I'd put the Winchester 127gr +p+ at the top of the gas pressure/volume heap for 9mm defense loads as it makes or almost makes 9mm major PF. It seems like I remember it clocking 1350+ FPS for me out of a Ruger P94 and M&P 9 FS.

.38 Comparisons
    Cartridge..................Bullet weight..........Muzzle velocity...........Muzzle energy.........Max pressure

.38 S&W Special......158 gr (10.2 g)......940 ft/s (290 m/s).......310 ft•lbf (420 J)......17,000 PSI

.38 Special +P+......110 gr (7.1 g).......1,100 ft/s (340 m/s)......295 ft•lbf (400 J).....22,000 PSI

9x19mm Para.........124 gr (8.0 g).......1,180 ft/s (360 m/s)......383 ft•lbf (520 J).....39,200 PSI

.357 Magnum.........158 gr (10.2 g).....1,349 ft/s (411 m/s).......639 ft•lbf (866 J).....35,000 PSI

.357 SIG...............125 gr (8.1 g).......1,450 ft/s (440 m/s).......584 ft•lbf (792 J)......40,000 PSI

I'd guess between a tight seal and the right defensive round the results might be noticeably different than your initial one.

The key word there is "relatively". Compared to rifles and shotguns, those pistol rounds are wet farts.

I guess getting the contact "seal" with a semiauto is fairly difficult. A pity wasting 40,000 PSI mini-grenade.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The key word there is "relatively". Compared to rifles and shotguns, those pistol rounds are wet farts.
    Maybe but if .38 Special is 22,000, 9mm +p+ is 39,000 or more (not SAAMI'd) and 5.56 is 55,000 that curve is very close to an extra 17,000 psi from one round to the next. If you want to try it and can tell me how to do it legally for not crazy money I'll ship you some rounds of Winchester 127gr +p+ to try out of a service size gun. I'm using HST now and have a some left over Winchesters.

I don't know what the rules are on shipping ammo, but I'm happy to give them a try.

Remember that .223/5.56mm has a lot more gas volume in addition to being higher pressure.

I don't know what the rules are on shipping ammo, but I'm happy to give them a try.

Remember that .223/5.56mm has a lot more gas volume in addition to being higher pressure.
    In reading UPS guidelines it looks pretty easy. PM or Email me your shipping address and I'll send you some. Is 10 rounds enough? Might be interesting to try a hard press against just a T-shirt like muzzle punching someone in the gut and a hard press against 4 layer denim or some other thicker fabric like a coat to see if the extra fabric gives the gas an escape route.

Will do. Understand that it may be a while before I get to it. I've got a lot of tests planned.

User Tag List