Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens when you press a gun into an attacker's body?

What happens when you press a gun into an attacker's body?

I've heard people say that when a handgun is fired against a person's body, that the expanding gases seriously complicate the wound. I tested the theory with a S&W 638.

Link for phones

Spoiler:

BB: 586.5 fps, 3.2"

Impact velocity: approximately 900 fps
    Penetration: 14.1"
    Retained weight: 134.5gr
    Max expansion: 0.554"
    Min expansion: 0.426"

It definitely tore up the clothing pretty well and added a lot of powder particles to the wound, but it doesn't look like the wound is any worse than normal.

Would the results be different with a magnum? What about a rifle or shotgun? Were there just not enough gasses from the .38 spl to be a factor?

Ayoob used to write of .357 magnum loads creating a pretty devastating contact would from the explosion blasting into the body.

I hope you stay with this and expand the calibers. I've never seen anyone go there before with gel. Seems like many years ago I may have seen (in print media) someone do it to a roast and it seemed pretty ripped up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Dead meat often gets a lot more torn up than gelatin or living tissue would in those sort of "tests".

I was definitely surprised by the results. I didn't expect anything crazy but I did expect the TSC to be a little larger. To my inexpert eye, it looks just the same as any other .38 spl or 9mm wound, but a lot dirtier.

More gas=more wound. Higher pressure as well vs lower pressure.

Your muzzle has to be pressed in so that there is a gas seal and the gas follows the bullet in. I have seen a few contact shot shootings on the street, one was with a .357mag, that guy couldn't hit the ground fast enough, he was DIRT.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Looking at the video, I don't think you pressed into the block hard enough for a gas seal into the block.
    www.agiletactical.com

That's correct. I did not press very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    That's correct. I did not press very hard.
    In that case the gas exited via the path of least resistance, through the clothing sideways, and likely pushed the front of the block away from the gun as it came back in recoil, creating an even greater air gap.
    www.agiletactical.com

Do it again do it again!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In that case the gas exited via the path of least resistance, through the clothing sideways, and likely pushed the front of the block away from the gun as it came back in recoil, creating an even greater air gap.
    That is consistent with the tearing of the clothing.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Thanks for all the testing you do, Andrew!

If you decide to try this one again, pressing harder into the block, I'd be interested to see a trial without the clothing as well. Maybe one contact round through the denim, and another contact round on bare gel?

I make no guess as to whether or not it would make a difference... but I'm curious.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

User Tag List