Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

I'd check our webpage in the next couple of days...
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Patterned the new Federal #1 load today out of a cylinder bore 870 and a Vang Comp'd 870. Long story short, they were outstanding. We were shooting at Caldwell 9" x 12" silhouette targets. At 10 yards all pellets were in the 10 ring. At 15 yards, patterns were fist sized, at 20 yds you could cover all with your hand. At 25 yds all inside the 9 ring, and all were still inside the 8 ring at 30 yards. Tried some Winchester and Remington #1 loads at 20 yds and could barely keep half on the target with the cylinder bore gun. The Vang did a little better, but nowhere close to the Federal load. Got them at ammoman.com.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Patterned the new Federal #1 load today out of a cylinder bore 870 and a Vang Comp'd 870. Long story short, they were outstanding. We were shooting at Caldwell 9" x 12" silhouette targets. At 10 yards all pellets were in the 10 ring. At 15 yards, patterns were fist sized, at 20 yds you could cover all with your hand. At 25 yds all inside the 9 ring, and all were still inside the 8 ring at 30 yards. Tried some Winchester and Remington #1 loads at 20 yds and could barely keep half on the target with the cylinder bore gun. The Vang did a little better, but nowhere close to the Federal load. Got them at ammoman.com.
    Sounds good!

Ammoman just ran out in the last day or two, I have been keeping my eye on their very limited supply, hoping it would hold out 'till payday.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

So do you recommend staying away from buying Brenneke slugs and going with the Federal for defense purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbait View Post
    So do you recommend staying away from buying Brenneke slugs and going with the Federal for defense purposes?
    The recommendation, as I understood it, was to go with the Federal slugs, but for defense purposes, the Federal LE buckshot (#1, if you can find it) is the better choice.

I wish I had gotten that case of #1 when it was available, I haven't seen it since then. I just got a case of the #00, and I have a bunch of the slugs on hand, waiting for me to give 'em a run.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Yea I understood that for most defense purposes the buckshot is better. I just wasn't sure if we should stay away from buying new Brenneke slugs altogether and go with Federal. It sounds like that's the case though. Thanks for the reply.

The problem is with the state of QC for the Brenneke slugs. They have outsourced who loads their slugs and sometimes the quality is very good. Previously Brenneke was the only real game in town for a non-expanding/fragmenting, high penetration slug, with the new Federal high penetration version of the Truball slug that is no longer the case.

Cabela's apparently has them in stock.
    http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammun...ed-slugs.shtml
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Cabela's apparently has them in stock.
    http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammun...ed-slugs.shtml
    Those look like standard TRUBALL slugs, not the deep penetrator version. There is a deep penetrator TRUBALL in the vital-shok line as well as the Federal Premium Law Enforcement loading. Both boxes are clearly marked "DEEP PENETRATOR." If the box isn't marked, I would assume it is the standard TRUBALL slug which has pretty lousy penetration.

I do not live far from Cabela's. I could wander over and check, if you wish.

User Tag List