Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Heretic that I am, I'm still a big believer in the shotgun as King of Home Defense.
    Evil, Pure and Simple, from the 8th Dimension! Get 'em!

Given Brenneke USA's recent QC issues and the unfortunate unavailability of true Rotweil Brennke loads in the U.S. currently, we have been looking for alternative slug loads that are capable of adequate penetration after first defeating intermediate barriers. We shot the new Federal (PB127 DPRS) Truball Deep Penetrator 1 oz slug load @ 1350 fps (http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ug.aspx?id=902). It penetrated 24" of gel after first defeating an automobile windshield, with no deviation from trajectory and outstanding weight retention. The Federal Truball Deep Penetrator works as a potential Brenneke replacement. As a bonus, it is very accurate out to at least 100 yards.

Doc, can you elaborate on the Brenneke issues. I carry a short 870 almost daily in Alaska, and have been using the Brenneke Classic Magnum 2.75 inch loads. I have a large stock of them purchased from five or more years ago, and continue to buy them. I detect no difference in accuracy and function between the slugs from the old supply and new slugs.

I just grabbed a box from my newly purchased batch, "Classic Magnum. 1 1/8 ounce, 2 3/4 inch, and while the box is marked Brenneke USA, the slugs are labeled as made in Germany.
    Last edited by GJM; 08-21-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add info on country of origin

Rotweil Brenneke produced superb consistent ammo made and loaded in Germany using quality components. Brenneke USA purchases the German made projectiles and then finds a low bidder to load them--perhaps in Serbia, Russia, or who knows where, using components of suspect origin. As a result, QC and consistency has been less than ideal. Your loads are probably fine.

The #1 load is essentially the same as the 00 out right now, right?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The new #1 load (LE132-1B) uses the same design features (solid brass head, shot spread reducing wad, copper-plated shot, reduced recoil) as the current Flight Control Tactical Buckshot, but using fifteen 30 caliber pellets, instead of the eight or nine 32 caliber pellets in the current 00 loads (LE133-00 and LE132-00).

Excellent. The 00 was very impressive to see out of an off the shelf 870 express when compared to guns that had all kinds of port work and other things done.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We did some additional testing with the new Federal LE132-1B #1 buckshot load. The load chronographed with a MV of 1095 fps from an 18" 870.

Through an automobile windshield at 3 meters, 2 badly deformed pellets were noted at 5", 3 pellets were at 8-9", while the remaining 10 pellets were found at 12.5-15"--not bad for buckshot load. Keep in mind that slugs are the preferred option when engaging threats inside vehicles.

In bare gel when shot from 3 meters, we again saw penetration of all the pellets from 14-18", as noted in the photo below:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Evil, Pure and Simple, from the 8th Dimension! Get 'em!
    As soon as anyone has any stock

San Diego Police Equipment Co. Inc. now has the production Federal #1 buckshot Flight Control load (LE132-1B) in stock for LE agency customers ONLY in CA, OR, WA, AZ, NV: 800-367-8989.

We are working on getting this. I'll post as soon as it becomes available to us.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List