Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55gr Hornady GMX TAP 5.56 (H81255)

55gr Hornady GMX TAP 5.56 (H81255)

I have been testing this round for a while, now. Which is to say, gathering data here and there from my range trips. Thus far, it has proven extremely accurate, and the terminals I have obtained from milk-jugs mirror Hornady's claims. Namely, that it penetrates like a BEAST! It actually penetrated further/better than 62gr TSX 5.56. In milk jugs, the TSX load penetrated 3 jugs, and was found in the 4th. The GMX load penetrated 3 jugs and was found in the 4th, but I think it would have exited, had a 5th jug not been behind it, as it punctured the 5th jug and caused it to leak at the impact site!

Like I said, accuracy is outstanding, and POI is very near to M193, as my photograph shows.

All testing was conducted with my 16.1" Daniel Defense .gov profile CHF barrel with a Surefire 556-212 suppressor. The accuracy testing involved a T2 Aimpoint and G33 magnifier.

I will apologize, my typical 10-shot group is not present, but a 5-shot group of this consistency leads me to think that the round is very accurate, regardless of hair-splitting over statistical analysis thereof.

The expanded slug, fired into milk-jugs from 25 yards, measures 0.501" at the widest, and 0.39" at the narrowest. The narrowest reading is as taken between two opposing petals, and is an "extreme" measurement. If the slug were placed sideways in the calipers, instead of inserting the edges of their tips into these crevices, the narrowest measure would be 0.44". The height of the expanded projectile is 0.38" across the longitudinal center-line. Average expanded diameter, using the narrowest measurement, is 0.4455". Using a more common-sense and less "technical" narrowest measure, it is 0.4705". Considering the distance penetrated, quite frankly, this is VERY impressive!

*I tried to test Black Hill's 50gr TSX counterpart, but it shed its petals.

Thanks for posting your results. That is my defensive load for my AR. It will also be my hunting load if I take the AR hog hunting. I've found the POI to be the same as XM193 in my limited testing. Which is one of the reasons why I have chosen the 55gr GMX load.

Where are you all finding this round?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Where are you all finding this round?
    Here's one place. I've ordered pistol ammo from them before and was satisfied.

FYI, wikiarms.com allows you to do keyword searches across most of the online ammo sellers. For instance, you can go to the .223/5.56 page and type in GMX to find all the loads in that caliber using the GMX bullet.

The ammo I have is 1 year old. It is not sealed at the case neck. Hornady LE emailed me last week saying it is sealed. I ordered 2 boxes from different vendors to test this claim. Maybe they updated it. I hope so. If not, I'll likely stick with ra556b as my "for all the marbles" loading.

This is my 1st choice ammo as well, I've entertained the idea of the 70 gr GMX but it's $0.50 more a shot.

This is my department's issued round for our 16" Rock Rivers and 11.5" Colt 6933s. It seems to help bridge the gap a bit when dealing with threats in a vehicle but don't have 12 gauge slugs available.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    This is my department's issued round for our 16" Rock Rivers and 11.5" Colt 6933s. It seems to help bridge the gap a bit when dealing with threats in a vehicle but don't have 12 gauge slugs available.
    I had this round penetrate almost as far as a friend's 7.62x39 m67 in an old junk truck,it out penetrated xm193,xm855 (which did just as poorly as my 55 gr sp varmint reloads!)

Are you all seeing sealed case necks with this round? Mine should arrive this week, but I'm just curious. I have an older box that is not sealed, but Hornady LE swears it is...

Mine is older too,I don't believe the necks are sealed.

User Tag List