Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mag flipping

Mag flipping

I shoot at a club with some guys who flip the mag out of their gun after they press the mag release. I say that it's slowing down their reload, but they disagree and say their reload times are just fine. Okay, but some newer guys to the club are now emulating this mag flip because it's what the guys who've been there longer are doing. Any ideas how I can stem the mag flip tide?

Site Supporter
    Break out the timer?

Well yeah, I try to use the timer as much as possible, but they also powerstroke the slide because "battlefield pickup" and "gross motor skilks", so half second off their 3 second reload will probably not be convincing enough.

Site Supporter
    Let them go about their merry way. The mag flip is the least of their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Well yeah, I try to use the timer as much as possible, but they also powerstroke the slide because "battlefield pickup" and "gross motor skilks", so half second off their 3 second reload will probably not be convincing enough.
    I'd like to point out that working the trigger is just as fine a motor skill as dropping the slide via slide stop.

Concur with JV- just smile, nod and just tune 'em out.

Wait.. Is "power stroking" the slide a bad idea all of a sudden? That's how I've always done it, unless I'm shooting a FAST or something.

Ask them how them how many battles they have been in or plan on being in where there are multiple types of pistols lying all over the place? If they are in battle and need to pick something up, hopefully there are rifles caliber weapons available. Also ask them if they are able to push the magazine release button why can't they hit a slide stop? They are both about the same size after all and take relatively the same level of manipulation with the thumb to get them to work.

As has been mentioned, the least of their worries is probably "flipping mags".

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Wait.. Is "power stroking" the slide a bad idea all of a sudden? That's how I've always done it, unless I'm shooting a FAST or something.
    Why do you shoot the FAST differently? Is your consistency different in getting the slide back in battery? There might be reasons for using an overhand or slingshot technique on the slide but "battlefield pick-up" and "gross motor skills" are both reasons cited by those who probably have a lot of room for skill development.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Ask them how them how many battles they have been in or plan on being in where there are multiple types of pistols lying all over the place? If they are in battle and need to pick something up, hopefully there are rifles caliber weapons available. Also ask them if they are able to push the magazine release button why can't they hit a slide stop? They are both about the same size after all and take relatively the same level of manipulation with the thumb to get them to work.

As has been mentioned, the least of their worries is probably "flipping mags".

Why do you shoot the FAST differently? Is your consistency different in getting the slide back in battery? There might be reasons for using an overhand or slingshot technique on the slide but "battlefield pick-up" and "gross motor skills" are both reasons cited by those who probably have a lot of room for skill development.
    I shoot a FAST differently because I'm going for speed and using the slide stop helps a little. (Last one I did though, I had a failure to lock back and had to rack it. That cost me some time, but would've been less noticeable if I'd been consistently "power stroking.") But even though using the slide stop will give me slightly better time doing a drill, I still can't think of a good reason not to "power stroke" instead when I'm doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I shoot a FAST differently because I'm going for speed and using the slide stop helps a little. (Last one I did though, I had a failure to lock back and had to rack it. That cost me some time, but would've been less noticeable if I'd been consistently "power stroking.") But even though using the slide stop will give me slightly better time doing a drill, I still can't think of a good reason not to "power stroke" instead when I'm doing anything else.
    I am not quite tracking this one. Not sure how running a slide consistently would have made you more able to notice a failure of the slide to lock to the rear? Do you mean that you counted rounds, dropped a mag, inserted a new one and went to thumb the slide stop and the slide was already forward, then had to rack in a round? If that is the case and this is not a knock on you, but that is more related to a training problem and not a fault of the technique itself.

That's more or less what happened, yes. I relayed my little FAST drill anecdote because I thought it was somewhat interesting, though it wasn't pertinent to my question and I should've omitted it.

I never said that there is a fault in the technique (using the slide stop), but I'm still wondering if there's any reason why I shouldn't "power stroke" instead, which was my original question.

User Tag List