Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reliable Glock 19

Reliable Glock 19

What does a person need to look for on a Glock 19 to ensure they are getting a reliable pistol? In Gen 3 is it before a certain date/serial number range? If so what are the identifications? Correct me if I am wrong but I assume that right now Gen 4's are still not considered absolutely reliable. If I am wrong please tell me what I need to look for.

I personally have not begun to trust Gen 4, yet. I am almost to that point.

My personal Glock 19 is one of the "problem Glocks" that has not had a problem. Sure, I got a few rounds back at my face, but after a few hundred rounds it seems to have mostly stopped doing that. In 550 rounds I have had one stoppage which was caused by a very deformed cartridge.

The rentals at the range I work at are "problem Glocks". They have lasted long past a reasonable round count with no chronic issues. I have noticed that the rental Glock 19 does have fairly rearward ejection.

We sell a ton of Glocks, many of which have been Gen4 or "problem" Gen3s. I am actually only aware of one that has been brought back to us with problems. Now, there could be more that people have chosen to fix themselves, or have not shot enough to discover issues, but the fact that it is not widespread among the Glocks we have sold leads me to believe that this is a fairly uncommon issue that has been made larger than it really is by 1) the internet, 2) the reputation of Glock to be 100% reliable.

Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    I personally have not begun to trust Gen 4, yet. I am almost to that point.

My personal Glock 19 is one of the "problem Glocks" that has not had a problem. Sure, I got a few rounds back at my face, but after a few hundred rounds it seems to have mostly stopped doing that. In 550 rounds I have had one stoppage which was caused by a very deformed cartridge.

The rentals at the range I work at are "problem Glocks". They have lasted long past a reasonable round count with no chronic issues. I have noticed that the rental Glock 19 does have fairly rearward ejection.

We sell a ton of Glocks, many of which have been Gen4 or "problem" Gen3s. I am actually only aware of one that has been brought back to us with problems. Now, there could be more that people have chosen to fix themselves, or have not shot enough to discover issues, but the fact that it is not widespread among the Glocks we have sold leads me to believe that this is a fairly uncommon issue that has been made larger than it really is by 1) the internet, 2) the reputation of Glock to be 100% reliable.

Just my $.02.
    But that won't be an acceptable explanation if my sister's first pistol has problems. The problem is pretty well documented, I am trying to decrease the potential of her having a problem gun. It has been posted here that the problems don't typically show up until after a couple of thousand rounds. Your reply is not helpful.

There are several threads with info on this topic. I would say, with the odd exception, anything before 2008 made by Glock is GTG. The problems started in early 2009 and increased in 2010. If your not running a light the old second and even first gens are a good deal.

I would first look for the latest editions with the updated ejector mentioned on all the Glock threads. But OTOH, my range buddy this morning put first rounds out today through a Gen 3 with the older ejector; bought new at a local high volume shop. It ran it's first few hundred rounds as well as any Glock.

Updated ejector seems to me to be the easiest fastest way to screen out the most suspect "era".
    Last edited by JHC; 04-01-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    There are several threads with info on this topic. I would say, with the odd exception, anything before 2008 made by Glock is GTG. The problems started in early 2009 and increased in 2010. If your not running a light the old second and even first gens are a good deal.
    I dont have a glock so how do I know when they are made? I am assuming it will be identified by the serial number but I don't know they run. I think a light option is desirable.
    I wouldn't mind reading a thread on the subject to get the info but my search powers are weak.

I can't give you an exact date range, but here is what I can say:

I have not seen an issue with Gen 3 Glocks manufactured through 2009.
    My 19 falls in that range (2007 or 2008, can't remember), and I have had no issues over about 20,000 rounds. Dates could be slightly off as they were relayed to me by their owners, and they were not all sure of their dates of manufacture.

My Gen4 G17 (test fire date of Jan 2012) has had no issues with about 3,000 rounds through it.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I dont have a glock so how do I know when they are made? I am assuming it will be identified by the serial number but I don't know they run. I think a light option is desirable.
    I wouldn't mind reading a thread on the subject to get the info but my search powers are weak.

Well,if you are only trying to match serial numbers with dates, the "Glock Serial Number Project" would be good for that. Just punch that into google. The current thinking is that anything after 2010 in the Gen 3 and Gen 4 generations is in the "possibly problematic" time frame.

You could avoid this entirely by purchasing a used glock (usually an LE Trade in) from any of the reputable online sellers. There have been several threads on here recently about an online site called Aim Surplus that has recently been selling LE trade in Gen 2 19's. I and several members of this forum have purchased some of those and been quite happy with them.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    Well,if you are only trying to match serial numbers with dates, the "Glock Serial Number Project" would be good for that. Just punch that into google. The current thinking is that anything after 2010 in the Gen 3 and Gen 4 generations is in the "possibly problematic" time frame.

You could avoid this entirely by purchasing a used glock (usually an LE Trade in) from any of the reputable online sellers. There have been several threads on here recently about an online site called Aim Surplus that has recently been selling LE trade in Gen 2 19's. I and several members of this forum have purchased some of those and been quite happy with them.
    You are talking about the thread started by LL? Tose are sold out and are gen 2. I am looking for gen three. Thanks for the info I will look it up.

I have a RCY serial numbered gen4 g19.

Probably around over 5k (dunno exactly how many) in it and only had one stovepipe which I called due to a limp wrist, never happened again.

edit: yes I know there is a spring weight issue, since it has never happened before, and has not since, I am calling it a limp wrist, which I called when I fired the shot.

User Tag List