Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Smallest Carry Gun?

My smallest is a Beretta Nano. It works what can I say. Next smallest is my 9mm Kimber Ultra Aegis. A 9mm 1911 and a Kimber that works.

XDS .45, not as accurate as my Colt 1911 but I don't expect to get into a gunfight with someone 25+ yards away. At that distance retreat should be an option.

I will add that there was a time in the '90's when it was a SP101 .357. Then one night there was this thing that happened 2 vs 1 in vehicles; VERY close call; no shots fired fortunately. Next day, back to a BHP and not since a 5 shot snub as a primary. YMMV
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Out and about a Glock 26. At home a Glock 42. Occasionally there is a J frame somewhere. I've become less and less comfortable with pocket carry anywhere but at home unless it's an NPE. I've yet to find a pistol that can be pocket carried and drawn when needed as easily as a J frame. I've been thinking about experimenting with an LCP for that role however.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Up until a couple weeks ago it was a SIG P239, which I have replaced with an M11A1. The 239 was a good gun but it felt kind of silly carrying 8 rounds in a pistol that's the same size as a G19. I've also been considering a PPS for awhile, for an "NPE" gun but since I work at a gun store and I graduated college I don't really find myself in NPEs all to often, so it's not much of a priority right now.

CCO, but I am careful to carry a reload.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The smallest pistol I would use for EDC also happens to be my current EDC, an M&P9c.

442 J frame or Glock 26. If you cannot shoot a 26 within 90% of what you can do with a 17 or 19... it's you holding the gun back not the other way around.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Just to clarify I never said I couldn't shoot the G26 well, hell I actually outshoot my 19 and almost my 17 with it. However I was referencing this:

“Not getting into the weapons transition issues from frame design to frame design (it's the reason I love to hate the Glock), the fact of the matter is that the recoil on the G23 crosses the magic line of running the shit out of your pistol. Allow me to explain... Most of the guys mentioned that they can handle the reduced size of the 19 and the recoil increase over the G17 is acceptable. Most of us have also determined that this does NOT cross over to the .40 cartridge. Guys with a firm handle on recoil manipulation can use the G22 and G35 with acceptable results. However when you go down to G26's and G23's, the juice is not worth the squeeze. The recoil is now noticeably effecting times and it's measurable. If you can't effectively control recoil and are wasting time allowing your pistol to settle between shots then this is all a wash and means nothing to you, but if you can apply the fundamentals effectively you will quickly see that you can't run a sub compact 9 or a compact .40 worth a shit. So a decision to accept a larger pistol in order to have an acceptable recoil impulse based upon caliber must be made. The smallest 9mm Glock recoil that I will accept is the G19 and I will not go below the G22 when bumping up to .40.”
    I just wondered how many people shared that same train of thought and how it impacted their EDC selection. Seems most thusfar do not. Not pointing any fingers as my EDC is either a Shield or G26.

Beretta Nano.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

User Tag List