Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Smallest Carry Gun?

Your Smallest Carry Gun?

With the market surge of single stack subcompacts in the last few years I am curious to see how many people carry these as an EDC. I remember there was a quote by a gentleman that stated something along the lines of once you get into the size of a G26 in 9mm, you will find out you cannot shoot them worth a shit and the same for 40 but even so with a larger frame G23.

Not only do you lose some shootability, but your capacity diminishes as well especially with the single stacks not having the ability to accept larger mags from fullsize brethren.

Out of curiosity, what is the smallest gun you would carry for EDC? I am not talking about special occasions in say a NPE environment, but general EDC. In Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens it states "It's Not The Odds, It's The Stakes". I have also seen this quote in signatures on this forum and others. What are your feelings on potential compromise of shootability and capacity as it relates to the possible outcome of a shooting and how does that play into your choice for EDC?
    Last edited by Father of 3; 04-07-2015 at 02:02 PM.

For quite some years it's been a G26 although I have J frames and more recently a G42 available.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    For quite some years it's been a G26 although I have J frames....
    Same here.

I do own a diminutive SS semiauto (9mm Walther PPS), though I never carry it; poor trigger action with weak reset, and nobody seems to do trigger work on 'em.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

My smallest semiauto is a Walther PPS. Its my EDC for NPEs.

I've tried a couple of small .380s and found them lacking. However, I haven't tried the G42 yet.

LCR right now. Might switch to the G43 after its proven since my most used gun is the G19... As much as I don't like to admit it the most carried gun for me during the summer is my LCR so a switch to the G43 makes sense..

I dont have a hard minimum. Living in NJ right now, everything is a compromise. If I'm just going across the river for dinner, its much easier to just throw my 380 Micro Eagle into my pocket instead of having to gun-up/gun-down with my P2000 when crossing the river.

The P2000 has been my default since I started carrying when I lived in VA, however.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There is a Kahr K9 in my carry rotation.

99% of the time it is a P2000 LEM but when I have to go small I carry the K9.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Glock 42 here.

Site Supporter
    Primarily Glock 26 with the +2 factory magazine. Occasionally a J frame. Both with plus P gold dots.

For the 0P, I will have to disagree with your assertion that the Glock 26 is not shootable. I see a fair number of Glock 26 is at workand it is not uncommon to see some of our officers shoot the 26 better then the 17.

I've done the compact micro 40 thing in the past with khars and the Glock 27 and I agree the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Glock 42 here.
    This, looking forward to a 43, but don't see it replacing the 42 as a pocket gun.

User Tag List