Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Extractor Issue

Check the fit of the firing pin stop which holds the extractor in place.
    It may be letting the extractor clock and that will give you random extraction and ejection problems.

The extractor is not clocking at all and it has no rotational movement in the slide. The FPS fit is fairly snug. Here are the pictures. Let me know if I can take any additional angles to help diagnose.

See space between round and breach face:

The round has a tendency to want to angle like this when I slide it under extractor and until I push it down flush:

Extractor (all polishing/beveling is stock from factory):

Compared to Springfield Pro:

There are times when an improperly contoured extractor can be re-shaped depending on the amount of material left to work with... but this picture makes me cringe...

Bare in mind that the angle of the photo makes it a bit hard to see the exact contours of the part, but that hook looks less than optimal.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

So is it worth just trying a new extractor then rather than attempting to fix this one?

I'll note again that this was completely done by the factory except for the slight bend that I put in it to increase tension. I did not do any of the filing/polishing you see in the pictures.

An easy test would be to take the one out of your Pro and put it in the Dan Wesson.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Dude, your extractor made Jason Burton cringe. Buy a new extractor.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I think I might smell what Jason's cooking...not totally because I'm not a wizard or anything like Jason...but that extractor looks like it's only part of an extractor...and also the tip of it is bulling the case out of position...likely compromising the grip on the empty casing (which weighs significantly less than a loaded round and is thus easier to push out of position). Couple that with the partial extractor...bummer!

All the science I have by it may be wrong, so I'll just go with what the Wizard says. You need a new extractor.

I've installed a few 1911 extractors over the years. Replaced the one on my competition gun last week, in fact. That extractor is screwed beyond saving. I might have a hard time buying a gun in the future from a company who thought that was good to go.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

As an update, I bought a Wilson bulletproof extractor as well as the Weigand extractor tensioning device and gauge set. I installed the new extractor, which measured about 16oz of tension when dropped in. I adjusted it until it was about 25-26oz, and the gun is ejecting perfectly now. I ran the round in chamber/no mag test for 10 rounds and the brass was ejecting into a consistent spot about 5-7 feet to my right.

Thanks for the advice.

User Tag List