Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General purpose 9mm reload

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    sorry with the Berry's 124 HBFN. We loaded 1.075 and they ran in the Glock and CZ, but didn't try in the 92.
    Based on Bill's info and our experience in your Berettas with my short-ish reloads, seems like that's a combo you'll want to vet.

I've not loaded much Titegroup in 9mm, but 4.4 with a 180 grain bullet has been a very successful load for me in .40 S&W.

As to 9mm, accuracy wise i've had more luck with either 115 or 147 grain bullets rather than the 124/125 ones. With the 115 bullets, 4.5 grains of bullseye shoots really well (1.5" or better at 20 yards) in several of my guns as does 6.0 of Power Pistol. Another good powder with 115 grainers is WSF, anywhere between 5.8 to 6.1 grains. All of these loads run 1150 to 1250 fps. As to bullets, Zero, Montana Gold, Nosler, Hornady and Privi JHPs have all shot well with those loads. The 6.0 Power Pistol load also works well with 124/125 grain bullets.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm really cheap...I like 147 grain bullets so I can put just barely north of 3g of Titegroup in the case
    Just using current Montana Gold pricing as an example, 147 grain CMJs cost $0.12 per, vs 124 grain CMJs at $0.09733333 per. Given that powder is the cheapest part of a reload, spending ~ 20% extra per bullet to save a little bit on powder is probably making your loads cost more, not less.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Just using current Montana Gold pricing as an example, 147 grain CMJs cost $0.12 per, vs 124 grain CMJs at $0.09733333 per. Given that powder is the cheapest part of a reload, spending ~ 20% extra per bullet to save a little bit on powder is probably making your loads cost more, not less.
    Probably true, however for me, the reality is that there is still no pistol powder to be had locally, so it's also about stretching my supply as much as possible, until I can get a few kegs of BE and TG

Titegroup does run a little hot. During my use of it I started loosing fiber optic rod from my front sight. I didn't put this together with the powder since I had been warned that FO rod does come out from time to time. I switched to VV N320 for different reasons and I stopped loosing FO rod at the same time.
    I currently use a 124 grain bullet with 4.0 to 4.2 grain VV N320.

I run Xtreme 135gr RNFP at 1.13 OAL with 3.8gr TG and CCI 500 primers making about 132pf thru my Beretta 92 and 135pf thru my CZ Shadow. I have also run 200 rounds thru 2 Glock 34s with no issues but I don't have chrono data. I developed the load for the CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Probably true, however for me, the reality is that there is still no pistol powder to be had locally, so it's also about stretching my supply as much as possible, until I can get a few kegs of BE and TG
    I'm down to < 1/2 pound of Unique and one unopened pound of CFE pistol myself. It's enough for the short term, but I find myself in the annoying situation of having more primers and projectiles than my supply of powder will load, so I definitely understand your situation there. Every time I stop by the local places that carry powder, there's rifle powder, but pistol powder has been impossible to find. In a perfect world, we'd all be sitting on multiple 8-pounders of our personal favorite options, but I guess we just have to suffer for now.

There has been a lot of pistol powder coming back into stock at a number of the web vendors the last several months. I've managed to catch Powder Valley with Titegroup in stock twice recently. It would appear we're on the upswing again. [fingers crossed]

If you don't already use it, try checking www.gunbot.net as a search engine for in stock product. It has been an invaluable resource in my getting back on top of the shortages.

t

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is temperature sensitivity. This is important to you from a PF standpoint; for instance, WST (granted, not the best powder choice for the EuroPellet), when it gets overly warm- as, left in a hot vehicle, etc.-, will actually produce less velocity than when it is reasonably cool. Blue Dot (at least, the old formulation), goes positively wonky when the ambient temperature is below freezing.

My point here is, whatever powder/charge weight you select, be sure to run it past the screens in every climate you expect to use it in a match.

FWIW, I do NOT like Titegroup. As other have noticed, it burns hotter than any other of the legions of powder I have tried in 9mm. And its pretty dirty, as well. Accuracy was acceptable.

Your problem, also noted by some, will be availability. The "best" powders are not easily found these days. These, such as 231, WST, WSF, et. al., are in high demand.

If I was in your shoes, I would try 231 powder, starting at five grains.

I guess you know about Brian Enos' site? That's about the best competition-oriented reloading resource I know of.

I'll second the recommendation for Brian Enos' forum. Lots of info there you will find no where else. Another place I like to check is the Bullseye-L ammo discussion forum, http://www.bullseyeforum.net/f13-ammunition-discussion

The stickies at the top of that forum have a ton of good starting points for load development.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List