Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: General purpose 9mm reload

I run my loads as long as my magazine will permit. I'm usually limited in 9 by my Springfield (1911) mags.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I run my loads as long as my magazine will permit. I'm usually limited in 9 by my Springfield (1911) mags.
    I used to do that, but don't any longer.

First, I was trying to get the rounds to fit in my "short chamber" CZ. Unlike their reputation for short chambers though, mine can take up to 1.124" OALs with a 124 gr conical JHP like the PD bullet.

Second, when I was shooting shorter OALs to test, I found some much more accurate loads while doing load development than loading everything as long as possible to fit in the chamber. I've stuck with them due to that experience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I found some much more accurate loads while doing load development than loading everything as long as possible to fit in the chamber.
    Same here.

Going to hijack this thread briefly, I just started reloading and I have run into some frustration and questions. How much margin of error does the COAL have (9mm)?

I am using Sierra 125 gr jhp (8125) which has a COAL of 1.075, however when I drop a finished round into the chamber(M&P9 barrel) it sticks unless I seat down to 1.065 or so.

I am fairly sure that is the issue, the brass measurements are with .0001 against factory rounds of the same brass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post
    the brass measurements are with .0001 against factory rounds of the same brass.
    This is probably better off in another thread, but I think you have one too many 0s in there.

I've seen many Sierra 125g JHP loads well under 1.075", it's usually for a CZ pistol. Load to an OAL that doesn't stick and adjust the load as needed, just make sure it's the seating depth that's the issue, and not a de-bell'd case mouth (crimp). I would try a range of OALs and check for the best one for your gun.
    Last edited by JV_; 04-10-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks. I am just not sure how much give there is when it come down to it. I like my fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post
    Going to hijack this thread briefly, I just started reloading and I have run into some frustration and questions. How much margin of error does the COAL have (9mm)?

I am using Sierra 125 gr jhp (8125) which has a COAL of 1.075, however when I drop a finished round into the chamber(M&P9 barrel) it sticks unless I seat down to 1.065 or so.
    The issue here is that every gun is different. Even two copies of the same model can have slightly different tolerances. As JV_ said, you need to find the COAL that passes the "plunk" test for your gun, and then work up your load at that length. 1.065 when the book says 1.075 is not something I'd be worried about; just make sure you start at the low end of the charge range and work up with a chronograph, and you should be fine. The shorter length will increase pressure, so you'll likely want to stop as soon as you reach your desired power factor unless you're not getting good accuracy at that point. I would not chase maximum velocity in this scenario.

Got some chromo data today. Low 80's F temp.

124 Berry's, 4.0 Titegroup, CZ SP01 average 1,079 133.7 PF
    same load, Glock 17, 1,072 average, 132.9 PF

124 Berry's, 4.3 Titegroup, CZ average 1,095 135.8 PF

115 Lawman Glock 17 average 1,238 142 PF

Federal AE 147, average 938 137.8 PF

PMC 115 1,131 average 130 PF
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    GJM,

Would you chrono that 4.0 TG load through a couple of your G19s and advise? I KNOW you have more than one G19!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I shoot 4.2 titegroup with a 124 fmj bullet and an oal of 1.15". I'd start around 4.0 and see where that gets you, especially since you're using a plated bullet.
    I use pretty much this exact load with the Berry's 124 HBFN you described and have had no problems at all cycling any of my Glocks, from 19s to a 17L, M&Ps, or my CZ P07. I have not run it in a Beretta yet, but I have a Brig Tac on the way.

This has been my standard practice load for some time, but I have never chrono'd it to see what PF it would make.

User Tag List