Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General purpose 9mm reload

General purpose 9mm reload

I am looking for a load that will reliably function in Glock, CZ and Beretta pistols (more types a plus), make 130PF, and be accurate. Looking at a Berry's 124 HBFN, Winchester primers, 1.075 and 4.4 of Titegroup. Thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    4.4 might be a little warmer than 130PF. 4.0 got me to 130PF, on the nose out of a Gen4 17.

4.4 might offer a decent headroom depending on the gun your shooting.

Those petite CZ chambers! FYI, I believe Hodgdon's load data suggests a max of 4.1 at 1.15ish, so given your suggested OAL, I'd tread carefully even at the 4.0/4.1 mark and definitely not beyond.

Do this… (plunk test)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJLNox1hpk

Then get a chronograph.

And definitely don't take load info from your buddies via text while they're out drinking/having dinner.

4.0 makes minor PF out of my 4.25" barrels.

General purpose 9mm reload

I shoot 4.2 titegroup with a 124 fmj bullet and an oal of 1.15". I'd start around 4.0 and see where that gets you, especially since you're using a plated bullet.
    Last edited by Mitch; 04-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    4.4 is rather hot, GJM, although it may be fine in AK. I use 4.0 - 4.1 and it works fine. I load the RN projos to 1.125" and truncated cones 124-125s to 1.07".
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-06-2015 at 01:29 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

4.4 grains of TG will probably get you north of 140 pf with that load in ~80-90 degree weather.

I used to shoot 4.1 grains of TG and was right about 136 pf with jacketed in those temps and longer OALs. The thing about TG I didn't like was how hot it ran the guns during longer practice sessions/strings. I've melted the F/O on my front sight on a few occasions and burned myself, etc.

If you're free on choosing components, my GP practice reload is a PD 124 JHP over 4.85 grains of VV N340 at 1.085" OAL. Makes ~135 pf, is very accurate and will run in my CZ (and anything else I've tried). Runs cool and clean too. I'll switch to Zeros or Hornady's in matches sometimes but keep a very similar recipie. I used to use N330 and like it a little better, but it's extremely difficult to find (and find in volume).

I ran a few thousand rounds of 4.2 TG, a 124 Montana Gold CMJ, and 1.125 OAl. It was consistently 138 power factor from a P35 and was a good robust load. I'm currently running 4.3 under a 125 LSWC and will chrono it soon; all my guns love it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    The thing about TG I didn't like was how hot it ran the guns during longer practice sessions/strings.
    I believe that characteristic is what makes it smoke so much with lead/coated bullets.

My standard range load is an 124 grain RNL over 4.2 grains of TG, 1.12 OAL. This gives an average muzzle velocity of 1135 fps from the 4.9" barrel of a Beretta 92, chrono'd at 62 degrees ambient temp, at 1,305 feet above sea level.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List