Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .40 for duty and competition

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    You could always mark your mags, or employ different colored base plates according to caliber.
    When I was running both the G19 and G23, all my G23 mags wore Vicker's magazine bases - could differentiate even in the dark by feel.

Now that the 23 is benched, not an issue anymore...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I like the 229 a lot, but certainly after 4 generations the G22 is a properly "designed around the .40" handgun.

Or I'm wrong. Which is always a solid possibility.
    The G22 does have some issues which other Glocks seem to never suffer from. My dept quickly ditched Gen 3s because they didn't run right with a tac light on the rail. Glock swapped our mags, didn't help. After some "we'll take our toys and go home" negotiating we switched to Gen 4s. Ours have been flawless, but there are some other departments to the south of us that had the same issues with Gen 4s.

My own Gen 3 would hang up about once every 3 mags. I was not limp wristing, not using bad ammo, etc and never had the issue with my Gen 2 (no light, of course) or my Gen 4. It ran fine with no light. Obviously there is something wrong with the design that pops up now and then, and apparently whatever it is Glock can't figure it out either.

It sounds like the gen 4 solved most of the issues with the G22.

Just for curiosity sake how does the .40 P226 do compared to the P229?

Site Supporter
    Does the department mandate .40 pistols? If you're comfortable with the Glock 17 and 21, I'd be inclined to choose one of them.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post

I think the rate of pistols with "the problem" is significantly less. Whatever "the problem is" even Glock couldn't tell us. If you get one that runs fine, it'll run fine forever. If you get one with "the problem" it'll have "the problem" forever. From what I heard, Glock really worked with our armorers to try to figure it out, to their credit. They never said we were doing something wrong or it was the ammo or ignored it in the slightest.

I've never shot a P226 in .40, so I can't really say how it compares to the P229. I will say I've got a P229 in .40/.357 and in 9mm. The P229 fits my hands very well and the recoil is more pushing the whole gun back and up then flipping the muzzle up, if that makes sense. I don't know if I'm describing it right. Glock 22 to me feels like its trying to rotate in my hands. The P229 feels like it jumps up a bit and then settles right back down without that torque feel. I *know* one reason I shoot the Glock worse and start stringing left is I start holding it way too tight to try to counteract that feeling its trying to flip out of my hands. The 9mm is new to me and feels like a BB gun.

I can also say I carry a P220 as my duty weapon and EDC. The P220 is very similarly to the P226 other than the grip being slimmer for a single stack .45 vs a double stack .40. I've also shot the P227, double stack .45, a bit. I don't see much difference in terms of feel, sight acquisition, speed between shots, etc. between them. Like .03-.05 second differences in terms of first shot from the holster and split times. Based on that I would guess the P226 would be very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post

Question?

What the majority of the other officers carrying? If things turned to poo, I'd want interchangeability with the other officer's weaponry. Just sayin...

I'd say G22 for full size, or G23 for mid.

The "best" shooting .40 I own is the Walther P99.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockcoma View Post
    Question?

What the majority of the other officers carrying? If things turned to poo, I'd want interchangeability with the other officer's weaponry. Just sayin...

This is way overrated in my opinion. If thing's turn bad, as you say, I want to have the gun I shoot the best and have the most confidence in.

If the Glock platform suits you, give the 22 or 23 a go. As others stated, I'm sure you have enough invested in Glock that swapping to another manufacturer could be a hassle to some extent.

But if you're so inclined as to stray, I throw my lot in with the P229 in 40, or the P320 if you want to keep with striker-fired. There's been evaluations of the Glocks in 40 S&W wearing/tearing faster. How well that holds for the new Gen 4's remains to be seen, but I believe that was one driving force behind the FBI going back to the 9mm.

The searches do say the P229 was built more for the 40 cartridge, whereas the Glocks were adapted. That's what they say, I'm not sure of how accurate it is.

Personally, I shoot a Glock 17 or 19 as if I were born with the gun in my hand. I don't quite perform as well with the 22/23 for whatever reason.

The 229 DAK I had, while I HATED the DAK trigger, I did fairly well with. Haven't shot a P320 in 40 yet, but have heard very favorable reviews.

I've carried the Glock 22/23 as duty guns. Between the two I prefer the 23. I'm retired now, but if I were given a choice of duty guns, I would choose the 35. It has been my absolute favorite Glock. I'm trying to break my CZ/1911 habit and go with Glocks exclusively for both IDPA/USPSA as well as carry. I've owned/own most model Glocks in 9/.40/.45 and have pretty much settled on the Glocks in .40. The 35 for competition, the 23/27 for carry, and the 22 for home duty. As the OP is accustomed to the platform, it would be great to have magazine interchangeability across the board. As far as logistics go, the Glock has one of the largest OEM and aftermarket support structures available. The M&P and XDM may have better ergonomics, but anyone who cares to can learn to shoot Glocks well. Most departments issue duty weapons and you carry what they choose. Not always to your liking, but often a good way to get experience on an unfamiliar platform. Good Luck!

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The G22 does have some issues which other Glocks seem to never suffer from. My dept quickly ditched Gen 3s because they didn't run right with a tac light on the rail. Glock swapped our mags, didn't help. After some "we'll take our toys and go home" negotiating we switched to Gen 4s. Ours have been flawless, but there are some other departments to the south of us that had the same issues with Gen 4s.

My own Gen 3 would hang up about once every 3 mags. I was not limp wristing, not using bad ammo, etc and never had the issue with my Gen 2 (no light, of course) or my Gen 4. It ran fine with no light. Obviously there is something wrong with the design that pops up now and then, and apparently whatever it is Glock can't figure it out either.
    Yeah, my brother's agency is switching to Gen4 G22s because their Gen3s have started turning into jam-o-matics, including my brother's. Also seems to be the taclight-on-the-rail issue.

I own a police trade in G23 Gen 3. I swapped out about 8 parts - all new springs, locking block, and mags. I know that gun, in that gen, is fairly loathed, but I love the thing. It has been perfect so far. Picking up a G19 Gen 4 also, which may steal my affections from the 23.

I've only owned a Glock for a month or two, but in the two extended range sessions I've had with the 23 I have been heavily persuaded. I shot as well - a mite better actually - with my G23 on my first day shooting with it as I shoot with my Beretta 92FS and Beretta PX4 that I've had for years.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List