Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 for duty and competition

.40 for duty and competition

"You can use any gun you want... it just has to be .40 caliber"

I have the prospect of a part time local LE job coming up around October. While I am very happy with being able to use a personal gun, I have never owned or shot a .40 before. I seem to do half decent with Glock 17/21 and was figuring on getting a duo of Gen4 22's and assuming at least one will need to be replaced here and there.

Or, would I be better off to take my time now and learn a gun more suitable to the forty? M&P?, P30?, Sig?

(honestly I just need someone to talk me out of getting a P30...or not)

Well you can probally get a P30 in 40 on the used market for the price of a Glock. Doc says a M&P 40 is hard to beat. I agree try a M&P40 at least its still striker fired.

Depending on whether you like striker-fired or hammer fired guns, I'd recommend the M&P 40 (which is the softest-shooting .40 I've fired) or the SIG 229 (which is also pretty soft shooting even with the relatively high bore axis).

Magazine carriers and holster for Glock 9's generally also work for Glock 40's (as long as the barrel lengths are the same...)

If you know the manual of arms with a Glock and do alright with it, why not just stick to it?

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Magazine carriers and holster for Glock 9's generally also work for Glock 40's (as long as the barrel lengths are the same...)

If you know the manual of arms with a Glock and do alright with it, why not just stick to it?
    That is my current thought and the 22 would be compatible with all my comp gear. I just have not heard much good about .40 Glocks.

The M&Ps are also an option (right now however, they're on my crap list)

I love my Gen4 G22's. Not so much the previous versions. We have a lot of them, and they work very well with our ammo. 180/1000.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post

This.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I love my Gen4 G22's. Not so much the previous versions. We have a lot of them, and they work very well with our ammo. 180/1000.
    As far as Glocks go this is what I am looking to hear.

Not that I will have much say, but out of curiosity what ammo do you use?

If it were me I'd try to end up with two gen 4 G22s and a G17, or G34, for high volume training and/or shooting competition.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Depending on whether you like striker-fired or hammer fired guns, I'd recommend the M&P 40 (which is the softest-shooting .40 I've fired) or the SIG 229 (which is also pretty soft shooting even with the relatively high bore axis).
    I'd second that, with the addition that Glock works fine if that's what you're into. The Glock 22 just never felt right to me. I'd try to shoot one before I bought if that's an option.

You say you've shot a Glock before but you don't way what you currently carry or what you're most comfortable with. There are a *ton* of good options on the market.

Sig P229 is a great carry gun. It shoots like a larger gun, handles recoil fine, has excellent after market support and holster options, etc. If you are willing to go with a DA/SA or DAK trigger, I'd strongly lean this way. If you want striker fired, take a hard look at the Sig P320. IMO, a much better gun out of the box than Glock or M&P. If you can have trigger work done (APEX kit or the like) the M&P becomes more attractive but bone stock the P320 trigger smashes the other similar offerings.

Also note you can get special pricing from Sig, Glock, Ruger, S&W, FN, and probably others once you get your LEO credentials. If its an option, you can save some $$$ to wait and buy "blue line".

User Tag List