Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 4.....the perfect gun?

Site Supporter
    the 17 is moving up my favorite gun list really fast lately. After studying Surf's videos and putting things into practice, I'm really clicking with the whole Glock platform. The 17 feels like a nice broken in pair of shoes.

I'll go out on a limb and agree it is the perfect gun.

Not quite a perfect pistol from the factory, however since no two people are the same the Glock is easily customized to fit the individual shooter for fitment / preference, pretty much easier most other pistols. Maybe that really is the key to the Glock, the fact that the pistol is so easily adapted to a wide variety of shooters with some tuning / fitment work? I am not married to the Glock and enjoy shooting other pistols, however if I have to have an all around pistol from defensive to fun, my first choice would be the Gen4 G17. I am always looking for something better and will be getting some heavy time behind a couple new pistols, but for myself at this time the Gen4 G17 fits the bill.

I've stuck with the 3rd gens, but I now have 3 17s that get all my serious use. I'm going to have one chopped for 19mags to give me a slightly more concealable option.

The finger grooves and hump have always fit me better with the full size over the compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I just ordered (2) NIB X coated Gen 4 G17's. One as a backup to my carry gun & the other going to my brother as a b day present.
    I'm sure we are related. I'll PM you my address in case you uh, forgot.

Kidding. You sound like an awesome brother.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-05-2015 at 03:45 PM.

While I prefer the ergonomics and manual safety option of the M&P series, if I were going to choose one pistol right now, it would likely be a current production gen 4 G17.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Gen4 19 with the GFA "Civilizer" installed. Not only does it stop the hand grinding, it beautifies the hell out of it. Alters the grip angle to more civilized standards...
    I'm not a Glock guy, but have always wondered why Glock did not want to offer this OEM.

But maybe they have?

The blurb below is included in the Glock 43 description, for instance; I thought this was kinda interesting:

"...The grip has a built in beaver tail design which allows the shooter to acquire a high and tight grip..."

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g43

Meaningful? Or just marketing fluff?

My Gen 3 G17 has the best trigger out of all my Glocks-and it's a box-stock standard connector, coil spring, OEM triggerbar....and thousands of rounds and probably tens of thousand dryfire iterations. While I don't think the dual spring RSA was really necessary for the 9mm Glocks, the grip frame changes are genuine improvements, as is the magazine release and multiple backstrap options. We continue to hear credible reports of the Gen4 G17 accuracy being excellent, out of the box.

While I've got some more advanced sights on some of my other Glocks, my 2002-manufactured Gen 3 (purchased BNIB in 2004) one soldiers on with a set of Glock steel sights that have been on it since 2004. The gun has given me superb carry and competition (IDPA, GSSF, and steel plate) service-and I literally cannot think of it ever having a single malfunction.

For a reliable, proven combat/duty/PDW/carry/tactical competition gun, the G17 is in my opinion one of the preeminent choices available. It's not perfect, but very, very good in a multitude of uses, as well as being proven, reliable, and exceptionally durable. Throw in low maintenance, low lubrication, exceptionally light weight, weather impervious, and exceptionally easy to both field- and detail-strip, and you've got a gold-standard pistol.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    While I prefer the ergonomics and manual safety option of the M&P series, if I were going to choose one pistol right now, it would likely be a current production gen 4 G17.
    Agreed on all counts. The current production Gen 4 G 17's are some of the best general-production service pistols ever made. I like the M&P more, and I like manual safeties very much, but the G 17 (or the 19 or 26 for carry if the 17 is too big) simply does so many things so well.

It isn't perfection, but it is an excellent all-around compromise.

I find that many aspects of the glock that people consider as faults: the "mushy" trigger, grip angle, etc. are actually advantageous to shooting at speed. The rolling aspect of the trigger allows one to be more aggressive on the pull, and helps prevent trigger freeze. The grip angle forces the shooter to lock in their wrists, which of course is a critical component to recoil control and therefore sight recovery. Tangentially related, but the small hump in front of the slide lock also serves as a nice shelf to place the support thumb to drive the gun post-ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    I'm not a Glock guy, but have always wondered why Glock did not want to offer this OEM.

But maybe they have?

The blurb below is included in the Glock 43 description, for instance; I thought this was kinda interesting:

"...The grip has a built in beaver tail design which allows the shooter to acquire a high and tight grip..."

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g43

Meaningful? Or just marketing fluff?
    The Glock GEN4 factory beavertail is real. GEN4s with MBS (Modular Backstrap System) stamped on the frame have the tab for their use.

I've recently been experimenting with the Glock beavertail on my GEN4 G17 and G19. I get a very high grip on the Glock - and sometimes get slide bite for my efforts. Having spent some time with the VP9 lately, I've come to appreciate a little bit of protection. We'll see if I stick with the beavertail longterm or not, but so far I like it.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List