Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 4.....the perfect gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I know of a couple of places in KS that issue the G34
    The Kentucky State Police still issue the G35. There is a fairly large SO, and a few small departments, in KY that issue the G35 as well.

I prefer the G17 Gen 4 over the Gen 3, the longer slide models, and to just about every other pistol I have tried (the exception being the G19 Gen 4 for carry).
    Last edited by SWAT Lt.; 05-10-2015 at 05:24 PM.

I love my G17 with trijicon rmr. I carry it comfortably in my SME holster from John Ralston at 5 shot leather
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Site Supporter
    The new Dillon Press catalog had an article by Duane, discussing the G19 for the new IDPA division and looking for a hidden way to be a champion, blah, blah - in CCP. Says he shoots the g19 the best compared to a 17 or 34, IIRC. I dunno - I like my G17 G4 better for IDPA, not that I don't like the G19. It's fine also.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The new Dillon Press catalog had an article by Duane, discussing the G19 for the new IDPA division and looking for a hidden way to be a champion, blah, blah - in CCP. Says he shoots the g19 the best compared to a 17 or 34, IIRC. I dunno - I like my G17 G4 better for IDPA, not that I don't like the G19. It's fine also.
    Would that be Duane Thomas?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Curious thought here, would a Glock 34 theoretically be safer than a 17 AIWB as the barrel is a tad longer? When i AIWB a G34 my manhood is usually always ok from bullet path and the muzzle tends to point slightly away from the artery.

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    Curious thought here, would a Glock 34 theoretically be safer than a 17 AIWB as the barrel is a tad longer? When i AIWB a G34 my manhood is usually always ok from bullet path and the muzzle tends to point slightly away from the artery.
    The same thing can be accomplished through holster design (the Keeper is a good example). A holster made for a 34 should orient a 17/19 in the same direction, unless you're using a Vanguard type system.

Site Supporter
    Thomas, you are correct!

Having purchased a like-new Gen3 G17 in 2012, when it looked like my chief was going to OK the 9mm counterparts of our .40 duty pistols*, my Gen4 9mm pistols have bracketed the G17 size; 2x G19 and a G34, thus far. Yes, the G17 size seems to be about perfect as the all-around urban carry gun, and the Gen4 grip seems to be the best for both of my hands, so it should follow that a Gen4 G17, when I do add one, or a pair, would be, well, close-enough to perfect. (My hands are sufficiently different from each other that a pistol that fits one may not fit the other as well; one example being Gen3 Glocks being distinctly better lefty guns for me.)

I specified "urban," in the above paragraph, because I would feel the need for adding a .357 Mag or big-bore revolver, or a 10mm Glock, when in some environments. 9mm seems OK, to me, for anti-personnel purposes, at urban distances. (I used to live a life of dedicated Magnum big-boredom, carrying mostly .44 and then .41 Mag sixguns from 1984 to about 1991.) Actually, the most likely wild fur-beast I would encounter in Texas, that would present a credible attack threat to family members and pets, would be a mountain lion, for which 9mm +P+ would "enough gun," if the shooter is enough shooter.

I will never give up my Les Baer TRS, because I cannot hope to shoot as Glock as well as a good, accurate 1911, though the Glock has good-enough accuracy for most foreseeable gunfighting scenarios.

Time to wrap-up this pre-caffeinated ramble! Yes, basically, I agree, it is difficult to beat a Gen4 G17 as a carry gun.

*40 S&W recoil, as inflicted by my high-bore axis P229, has become uncomfortable, per shot, and cumulatively quite painful, in my gimpy hand/wrist, whether that hand is the weapon hand or support hand. Being able to use 9mm on duty would be a career-extending factor, but my chief decided to stay with big bores, instead authorizing the addition of .45 ACP. Ah, well, we will likely have a new chief next year, who may be more favorably inclined toward the well-thought-out 9mm duty pistol proposal. It would be nice to be able to carry a G17 in my duty rig, as well as during personal time.

A few months ago I sold a G17 gen4 I had and used as a match gun before switching to the VP9, and almost immediately intensely regretted it. Recently I traded and got another one and restored the order of my universe. It's a gun I need to have, Glocks are the only guns I know how to take apart completely and replace every piece, and the gen4 is my favorite by far.

So yes, in a sense it is the perfect gun.

Well, I hope you guys are right... On a impulse I bought a Gen4 g17 police trade in, from a LGS that managed to get a very few of them. The pistols show little use, came with one mag, and backstraps pin, and removal tool still sealed in it's bag. The mag was electropenciled NWTC.. Anyway, my experience with Glocks was with a Gen 3 G19 made during the height of the BTF craze, and my example was a bad one. It soured me on Glocks for a long time. Having bought this pistol at the shop just before a match was starting, I only had time to run a couple of mags through it. Well, this time no BTF and it seems to shoot ok, So, I'm going to give it a chance.. I'll have to admit support for Glocks is legendary, parts and mags are easily found, (I'd rate Beretta as a distant second in this area) I've been shooting HK's for a while, and I like them a lot, but if anyone has been paying attention, HK is in serious trouble, both financially, and with the German gov't as well, The future (IMO) for HK is questionable, due to German politics, inept German management that doesn't seem to understand the U.S. market. As a result, I figured I need at least one pistol that's easily repairable, and parts for which are easily found. I'll admit I'm a still little leery after my experience with my BTF Gen3 G19, But I'm willing to give it another shot. Letter prefix for this pistol is PKY..Is there anything I should know? parts upgrades etc?

User Tag List