Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 4.....the perfect gun?

I've wanted to pick up a G17 Gen 4 for a while now. Started with a G19 Gen 4 three years ago. Sold that for a G34 Gen 4. Liked the 34 but like an idiot I did a home few stippling job on it and made the frame WAYYY too rough for a carry gun. Thankfully I was able to sell it without too much trouble. Bought a G17 Gen 3 and put 5,000 rounds through it last year before selling it to a buddy to buy a VP9 because I drank the koolaid hard core...Bought a second VP9 to use as a dedicated carry gun and now I'm coming full circle back around to Glock. Picked up a Gen 4 17 last week. The VP9s are nice shooting handguns except...they are snappy in the recoil department. I especially notice this when shooting them at speed (anything faster than .30 splits). It is much harder for me to track the sights on my VP9s compared to the 17 I had last year and the one I just picked up. Also, my groups when shooting at speed are all over the place. I'm sure some of the groupings are operator error, but I shot my NIB Gen 4 17 last week and was able to do a Bill Drill .40 seconds faster and with much better accuracy compared to the VP9.

I really like this 17 so far. I'm not going to sell my HKs, but I am going to shoot them less than I was planning and dedicate a good chunk of practice time to the 17. Another thing that really bugs me about the HK compared to Glock is aftermarket parts availability and end user maintainability . Between my 2 VP9s, I have 7 mags. Going to work up to 20 before 2016 JIC...but for now they are sold out everywhere online and are 1.5-2X the cost of Glock mags. I ordered 5 Glock mags and 2 Magpul Glock mags last week (making that 10 for now) and they'll be here tomorrow. Hard to beat that kind of availability. The fact that I can detail strip the 17 in my room is another plus because I don't need special armorers tools or manuals like the VP9. I'll probably be picking up another 17 Gen 4 and another 19 Gen 4 (and maybe a G43) for the fiancé when I get more cash. I don't see me going away from Glock anytime soon.

Anything can happen in a fight and I would not disqualify a G34 because of the open slide for LE duty. Military requirements and less control over the environment/few maintenance cycles might be another story. I had a fight go to the ground in a open field full of gravel, I dislocated my left shoulder and jammed the holster so full of debris I was unable to get the gun out regardless of how hard I pulled. After the fight I dropped my belt and still had plenty of work to do to get the gun out. Always have plan B regarding any equipment you carry.
    If you think you can or think you can't the odds are your correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JustTodd View Post
    Anything can happen in a fight and I would not disqualify a G34 because of the open slide for LE duty. Military requirements and less control over the environment/few maintenance cycles might be another story. I had a fight go to the ground in a open field full of gravel, I dislocated my left shoulder and jammed the holster so full of debris I was unable to get the gun out regardless of how hard I pulled. After the fight I dropped my belt and still had plenty of work to do to get the gun out. Always have plan B regarding any equipment you carry.
    Having just moved from MT, that was the great benefit of living there. I could walk around naked with my gun in hand, just to avoid the problem that JustTodd had;-) That is, very few people around.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Having just moved from MT, that was the great benefit of living there. I could walk around naked with my gun in hand, just to avoid the problem that JustTodd had;-) That is, very few people around.
    GREEEAAATTT. Another image I have to burn out of my head with a soldering iron...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    GREEEAAATTT. Another image I have to burn out of my head with a soldering iron...
    I think there is a punch line, "looks like a Glock 24" in there somewhere.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Relayed by request:

One of our guys attended a John Farnham instructor class in Americus, GA. The dirt in that are of the state is a bit sandy. There was a drill where they had to drop their primary and go to a BUG. Our guy was running a Gen4 34. He dropped it in the dirt, and that alone allowed enough grit into the slide cut in then into the RSA to completely lock up the pistol. Even blowing our the RSA with compressed air wouldn't fix it. He had to replace the RSA to get his pistol running again.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

The Glock 34 is the concealed carry gun of choice for discerning, performance oriented, urban dwelling, appendix carrying, crossover gamer/timmies. (In other words, Mr_White.)
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Who are notably without sand in their holster. As it were.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Are you kidding! Do you know what I charge for those photos to non PF members? ;-)

How long is glock gonna make the gen 3's for? I've had only gen 4's but played with gen 3's today and really like them. Considering getting a gen 3 19/34 combo.

User Tag List