Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 4.....the perfect gun?

^ My son still has the PHK- and a PHP- Gen 4 G17s purchased in Spring 2010. Both continue to shoot superbly in original configuration - round counts 12K and 4K. Extremely accurate and w/o BTF. So your's may be as good. Or you may be looking to Glock for a current extractor and ejector upgrade. Are you familiar with the new Gen 4 9mm ejectors?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    ^ My son still has the PHK- and a PHP- Gen 4 G17s purchased in Spring 2010. Both continue to shoot superbly in original configuration - round counts 12K and 4K. Extremely accurate and w/o BTF. So your's may be as good. Or you may be looking to Glock for a current extractor and ejector upgrade. Are you familiar with the new Gen 4 9mm ejectors?
    Yes I am. The ejector is current (30274) ejection and extraction don't seem to be a problem, as I shot about 200 or so rounds through it yesterday of my reloads.. mixed brass with plated bullets. ejection was pretty consistent, all going into a arc, to the right and landing about 3' away. None toward my face,or shoulder. Accuracy was excellent. Looking at the striker, it appears to be missing part of it's tip ,as the fired cases showed some unusual indentions, not normal for a Glock. I stoned it and squared it back up. I loaded a resized case (no powder, or bullet) with a primer and went out back and pulled the trigger, The indention in the primer looks good, and I figure it'd probably be ok to use, but I'd rather have a new striker.. Think Glock would send me one?

Site Supporter
    Glock won't send you anything unless your a factory certified armorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Glock won't send you anything unless your a factory certified armorer.
    Yeah..That's what they told me over the phone...However, I went back to the LGS today, where I bought this thing, and showed them what it was doing with some empty cases I had fired through it, and they replaced the striker and spring, no charge! After I got home I fired a single round into a dirt/grass pile I have on my property facing some woods, I recovered the case and compared it to some cases I have in the basement that are cleaned, and ready to load. These cases were fired from other Glocks. Comparing the primer indentations from my fired case to these, they were nearly identical..I think the problem is solved..

I bit the bullet and ordered a Gen4 recoil spring assembly from Midway, That should probably do it for now.. I'm going to take my time and figure out just what kind of sights I want to put on it.. I had a set of Hacks on my ill fated G19, I did like them, as I like to drive the dot.. I've got other pistols to shoot, so this is something I can do little by little, for right now I just want to make sure it's reliable...
    Last edited by ralph; 05-26-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Yeah..That's what they told me over the phone...However, I went back to the LGS where I bought this thing, and showed them what it was doing with some empty cases I had fired through it, and they replaced the striker and spring, no charge! After I got home I fired a single round into a dirt/grass pile I have on my property facing some woods, I recovered the case and compared it to some cases I have in the basement that are cleaned, and ready to load. These cases were fired from other Glocks. Comparing the primer indentations from my fired case to these, they were nearly identical..I think the problem is solved..

I bit the bullet and ordered a Gen4 recoil spring assembly from Midway, That should probably do it for now.. I'm going to take my time and figure out just what kind of sights I want to put on it.. I had a set of Hacks on my ill fated G19, I did like them, as I like to drive the dot.. I've got other pistols to shoot, so this is something I can do little by little, for right now I just want to make sure it's reliable...
    If the gun has the original unmarked RSA (same weight as the .40 models) hang onto it. Both of ours are still running strong with them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If the gun has the original unmarked RSA (same weight as the .40 models) hang onto it. Both of ours are still running strong with them.
    Will do. I just looked at the RSA.. it appears to be the original, as it is unmarked. I'm assuming these are made from stainless? Is there any way to check when these are wore out? I don't think this one is, but then again, I have no idea how many rounds it has on it either..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Will do. I just looked at the RSA.. it appears to be the original, as it is unmarked. I'm assuming these are made from stainless? Is there any way to check when these are wore out? I don't think this one is, but then again, I have no idea how many rounds it has on it either..
    Check - point muzzle up at 12:00, pull trigger and hold it back. Draw the slide back a scosh and slowly release it, gently gently, yeah just like that. The RSA should lock it into battery with no momentum if it's still worthy.

(Note how I gave you the benefit of the doubt you would clear the pistol first )

Check - point muzzle up at 12:00, pull trigger and hold it back. Draw the slide back a scosh and slowly release it, gently gently, yeah just like that. The RSA should lock it into battery with no momentum if it's still worthy.

(Note how I gave you the benefit of the doubt you would clear the pistol first )
    Thanks, yeah, I caught that. Tried the test as you described, pistol easily passed, When the new RSA shows up, I'll install it, and keep the old one as a spare.. It's starting to look like this G17 may a keeper after all..

Has anyone noticed if you get more light on the sides of your front sight using the same sights? Really thr front sight will be closer on a 19, ttherefore it will be thicker inside the rear sight. Is it enough to make out the difference with a non thin sight like the HD? I'm waiting on a store to open tomorrow to buy a gen 4 19, but I'm worri3d the front sight will be too thick on the shorter sight radius of a 19. I already bought the HDs and a 17 aiwb holster (for a 19).

Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    Has anyone noticed if you get more light on the sides of your front sight using the same sights? Really thr front sight will be closer on a 19, ttherefore it will be thicker inside the rear sight. Is it enough to make out the difference with a non thin sight like the HD? I'm waiting on a store to open tomorrow to buy a gen 4 19, but I'm worri3d the front sight will be too thick on the shorter sight radius of a 19. I already bought the HDs and a 17 aiwb holster (for a 19).
    I have HD orange on all three of my G19s and love them. They have not hindered 25 yard precision and sure are fast up close.

User Tag List