Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does AIWB get a pass on sweeping your own self?

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    You don't have to point the gun at your arm with a shoulder holster if you draw into Sul and then do a pressout from there as part of your drawstroke. Holstering is the reverse, and again, no part of the body actually has to be muzzled with a shoulder holster if proper technique is used.
    There is no way to withdraw a pistol from a concealed horizontal shoulder rig without sweeping the arm.The offhand has to get the cover garment out of the way-which means the pistol has to cross that arm on the draw. The problem is worsened the lower the shoulder holster is worn.

Putting the gun in position Sul would seem to worsen the time problem . Ive timed myself drawing shoulder versus waistband carry, and I ditched it after realizing the Miami Classic II added a full second and a half to my FAST times.The additional complication is reloads-reaching across the chest for a magazine takes more time for me then the belt, and clasps on the magazines means you wont be getting a FAST coin with Don Johnson's holster.

Addendum-long barreled handguns like a G-17 are out unless you have a big chest front to back, or your holster cants the gun upward like the old school Jackass rig.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    I saw a gentleman in the trauma bay a few weeks back that put a .40 into his lateral thigh while adjusting his OWB holster at the 3:00 position.
    How... did that happen? With his gun holstered??

--
    d(-.-)b
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've almost never seen anyone not muzzle themselves from a strong side holster, OWB or IWB, if they draw while moving laterally.
    This. Including people are properly trained individuals with awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    There is no way to withdraw a pistol from a concealed horizontal shoulder rig without sweeping the arm.
    Ever since you became an RSO, I think you need to do more training and less lecturing.

A raised chicken-wing will allow the muzzle to clear without covering your appendage.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

A raised chicken-wing will allow the muzzle to clear without covering your appendage.
    Then how does one avoid the problem of the horizontal holster moving backwards during the draw ? Without the offhand elbow to trap the holster , it would just shift backwards against the straps-unless one sprang for uncomfortable and restrictive tie-downs.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

People still use shoulder holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Then how does one avoid the problem of the horizontal holster moving backwards during the draw ? Without the offhand elbow to trap the holster , it would just shift backwards against the straps-unless one sprang for uncomfortable and restrictive tie-downs.
    I honestly don't understand this concern. 1) chicken wing while establishing a master grip, 2) pull pistol from holster and into the "3" position.

There's no need to push the pistol/holster backwards, anymore there is any need to shove a pistol downward if wearing a belt holster. That's just extraneous movement that needs to be trained out.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    They absolutely have their uses, even if niches. GJM rocks a pretty sweet setup for flying. They seemed to be popular with tankers as well.

They absolutely have their uses, even if niches. GJM rocks a pretty sweet setup for flying. They seemed to be popular with tankers as well.
    I know every Staff and officer used them when on a fob... you know.. because...

I think you need to do more training and less lecturing.
    Getting altitiude sickness yet from that high horse you're riding?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Hollywood's gotta make a buck, and so do Galco employees.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I honestly don't understand this concern. 1) chicken wing while establishing a master grip, 2) pull pistol from holster and into the "3" position.

There's no need to push the pistol/holster backwards, anymore there is any need to shove a pistol downward if wearing a belt holster. That's just extraneous movement that needs to be trained out.
    Im refering to the natural inertia of a moving draw hand grabbing a suspended handgun in the horizontal position, sans tie down. Unless some force is exerted, the gun+holster is going to move backwards . My experience is with the Miami Classic and Galco Jackass setups, so perhaps the brands youre using are constructed to eliminate this problem.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List