Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does AIWB get a pass on sweeping your own self?

Why does AIWB get a pass on sweeping your own self?

I have not been trained for AIWB carry.

Nowadays, shoulder holster and cross draw rigs are often roundly panned because of the basically
    unavoidable sweeping of body parts during the draw/re-holstering.

Commentators all remark on how careful you must be during AIWB usage.

Following the logic trail here, I don't understand why this method of carry is given a pass on sweeping body parts. Nor can I imagine a way to avoid said very bad habit.

What am I missing?

EDIT: OK, just finished reading ToddG's comments down in the hardware forum. I should have searched more. As usual, he writes clearly and his opinions are well thought out. Most of my questions were answered.

The main point I had wasn't though. Why can't I use the exact same factors in defending the use of cross draw or shoulder rigs with the improved point of "If you fuck up, you wing yourself (with an attendant chance of maybe dying")?
    Last edited by 314159; 04-04-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: poor search-fu

Part of it might be "if you F up, others may die" with shoulder holsters. Shooting society is less forgiving of muzzling others. As just an anecdote, I'll say that the range I train at most often disallows AIWB in classes, and strongly encourages strong side OWB (in preference to IWB); the staed reason is that the instructor can't see AIWB re holsters from behind the line of shooters at all, and IWB concealed is harder to see than OWB--and its his range and rep on the line if someone NDs. (That said, he's given me a pass on strong side IWB/concealed since I've taken enough classes from him).

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Following the logic trail here, I don't understand why this method of carry is given a pass on sweeping body parts. Nor can I imagine a way to avoid said very bad habit.
    You're muzzling your leg in a regular OWB holster, but that isn't the problem.

The problem with cross draw and shoulder holsters is that you're potentially muzzling others when drawing.

Cross draw and shoulder rigs, when used properly, do not sweep the user anymore than AIWB. That is to say, they don't. As other pointed out though, you will often sweep someone else when using those rigs. Plus, they just don't provide as direct and effective a draw, so there are usually better choices. That's the real reason they have fallen from favor, not safety.

Site Supporter
    When I was taking a class, it was pointed out that on cross draws if you were quite up close to your opponent, it was easier to block the draw. With other positions, you can move into a retention position while fending off the opponent. Done with not real guns in class. While action beats reaction, there was time enough to shove the drawing hand into the body of the drawer with a cross draw.

Cost/benefit.

The AWIB advantages in concealment, retention (particularly in a clinch), and speed during a draw may outweigh the danger factor - but this is heavily dependent on training, proper body position, and the use of safeties/hammers/gadgets.

I saw a gentleman in the trauma bay a few weeks back that put a .40 into his lateral thigh while adjusting his OWB holster at the 3:00 position. Could have easily been fatal if the muzzle was pointed a few degrees more medial. Sweeping can occur even with the "safest" methods of carry.

What I like about Todd's perspective is that AIWB should be a conscious choice, not a default method of carry.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    You're muzzling your leg in a regular OWB holster, but that isn't the problem.

The problem with cross draw and shoulder holsters is that you're potentially muzzling others when drawing.
    Someone muzzling their leg with a strong-side OWB is doing it wrong. It happens, but it's because the user is canting the gun inward fishing for the holster. This is a prime reason why quickly reholstering is generally a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Someone muzzling their leg with a strong-side OWB is doing it wrong.
    I've almost never seen anyone not muzzle themselves from a strong side holster, OWB or IWB, if they draw while moving laterally.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    The main point I had wasn't though. Why can't I use the exact same factors in defending the use of cross draw or shoulder rigs with the improved point of "If you fuck up, you wing yourself (with an attendant chance of maybe dying")?
    With a properly configured shoulder rig (read, NOT how Sonny Crockett wore his Bren Ten) the user wont muzzle much of themselves but a part of their arm.They do however point a deadly weapon at everything and everyone to the left or right of their person-a direct violation of "dont point the deadly weapon at things and people not intended to be fired upon".

Further, shoulder holster draws can be timed with a sundial compared to waistband setups.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    With a properly configured shoulder rig (read, NOT how Sonny Crockett wore his Bren Ten) the user wont muzzle much of themselves but a part of their arm.They do however point a deadly weapon at everything and everyone to the left or right of their person-a direct violation of "dont point the deadly weapon at things and people not intended to be fired upon".

Further, shoulder holster draws can be timed with a sundial compared to waistband setups.
    You don't have to point the gun at your arm with a shoulder holster if you draw into Sul and then do a pressout from there as part of your drawstroke. Holstering is the reverse, and again, no part of the body actually has to be muzzled with a shoulder holster if proper technique is used.

User Tag List